Manufacturing & Supply Chain
As a Quality Manager, you will provide support for quality initiatives in facility operations, supplier quality, and materials technology. Position will ensure conformity to global quality processes defined in the Caterpillar Quality Management System (QMS), day to day management of quality resources, and ensure resources are trained and competent.
Job Duties/Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assure the facility’s products meet the Caterpillar specifications. Communicate and promote the quality philosophy and provide guidance to various quality areas such as manufacturing, torque support, gage lab, heat treat and/or met lab personnel.
- Conducts product evaluation tests on all new product. Determines and orders the product configuration to be tested, designs and directs the test program, coordinates the test and tear-down of each model, and identifies problems. Recommends solutions to Product Group Engineering, Customer Service, Operations and Logistics Support to insure annual product quality improvement and warranty cost reduction.
- Accountable for conformity to global quality processes and reporting to management on QMS process execution. The role is responsible for setting priorities, establishing review schedules for product and equipment quality control, and managing shop floor quality controllers.
- Responsible for overseeing the execution of processes, plans and tools that support global quality systems or related processes i.e. Cost of Poor Quality, APQP, PPAP, quality certifications, MQ11005 and MQ12005 etc. The incumbent must also ensure alignment to CPS (Caterpillar Production System) principles.
- Develop, implement and monitor quality plans to ensure that the products meet Caterpillar quality standard and ensure compliance to QS9000 internal certification requirements, accomplished by conducting and reporting internal audits.
- Provide quality measurement reports and make continuous improvements to the products and processes (i.e. be responsible for development and information collection for inspection reports and/or maintain and publish defect reports that are recorded and reported at all levels from start on line to end customer.)
- Conduct quality investigations to determine root cause, develop and implement solution plans.
- Receive customer feedback, discuss with responsible work center for the improvement and provide feedback to the customer. Act as the Quality contact for customers. Be the contact for the day to day shop quality issues, including coordinating the holds due to quality and the rework needed.
- Work with suppliers to improve the quality of products delivered to the facility. Implement and support Supplier Certification programs both internally and externally.
- Provide full support to NPI process, CPI process and manager on Corporate AQI award.
- Maintain and publish defect reports that are recorded and reported at all levels from start on line to end customer.
- Ensures Product Group Engineering, Assembly Planning and Operations, and Purchased Finished Supplier plans are compatible with the quality level expected of new products. Participates in new product development programs, and makes risk assessment at each phase of development and manufacturing.
- Responsible for the training, motivation and development of employees. This position instructs personnel on how to determine the quality of work with the aids of inspection gauges and blueprints. The incumbent provides counsel and advice to employees concerning personal and assigned work problems, recommends merit increases for qualified employees, disciplines employees by writing cautions and discharging or suspending employees, and writes commendations for outstanding employees. These are the tools used by the incumbent to motivate people. Personal contact is made daily with each employee relating to quality problems, safety, housekeeping, etc.
- A Bachelors degree in Engineering/Manufacturing
- 7+ years of progressively responsible job-related experience
Top candidates will also have:
- Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university in engineering, manufacturing or operations.
- 5+ years of leadership experience in operations
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills.
- Prime Product assembly operations experience
- Knowledge of shop operations and maintenance
- 6 Sigma Blackbelt certification
- ASQ certifications in quality or manufacturing
Caterpillar is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future require sponsorship for employment visa status; however, as a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here.