Additional Functional Areas
The Lean Master Black Belt is responsible for leading, coaching, and mentoring teams to improve critical process to achieve business goals. They are skilled in core Lean methodologies and tools such as value stream mapping, value add analysis and problem solving. Working knowledge of 6 Sigma and Lean principles will be key to effectively and efficiently achieve improvement goals. Lean Master Black Belts bring with them broad experience in operations, engineering, transactional and support processes. They will actively support Lean improvement strategies, lead waste elimination projects and build organizational Lean capabilities.
Job Duties/Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lean Master Black Belts lead and support sustainable process improvement by diagnosing complex business problems and providing recommended treatment plans to deliver process improvements through the implementation of Lean Principles. This position will manage, and support projects related to large-scale process transformations using Lean, 6 Sigma and project management methodologies.
- Lean Master Black Belts must be able to provide cross-functional technical expertise to functional teams in the deployment of Lean to drive process transformation aligned with business improvement strategies. They integrate Lean deployments with other business activities, improvement projects, and strategies. Lean Master Black Belts must also manage and support Lean deployments with key elements of the extended value stream.
- Lean Master Black Belts will provide supplemental coaching and support to fully engage the team in driving the needed cultural changes to achieve sustainable Lean capabilities in pursuit of business objectives. They are accountable to utilize their demonstrated leadership capability to support the evaluation of cultural change progress and to assess the readiness and progress for Lean deployment. The Lean Master Black Belt may be required to coach, teach and develop others to use the tools and methodologies of Lean in order to drive sustained Continuous Improvement.
- Lean Master Black Belt must build and maintain strong credibility by building and maintaining positive relationships. They must be able to influence senior leaders by making a creditable case for change based on their experience and Lean technical capabilities. It is vital for a Lean Master Black Belt’s coaching style to be strategic, collaborative and facilitative, rather than directive. They must be able to work with diverse teams and communicate effectively with both leaders and others in the organization. A Lean Master Black Belt must be a results-oriented change agent. They must have the ability to lead and learn with humility, while maintaining a neutral and professional demeanor.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Engineering or Business, or an equivalent level of work experience
- 5-10 years of experience in leading and supporting Lean continuous improvement
- Advance English
- Experience in leading a team
- Solid project management and team leadership skills
- Strong communication skills
- Available to travel regionally (and occasionally globally) up to 50%
Top candidates will also have:
- Master’s degree in Engineering or Business
- Experience leading a global team
- Experience as a 6 Sigma BB, 6 Sigma MBB, CPS BB or CPS MBB (preferred, but not a requirement)
- Strong project management experience and knowledge
- Cross-functional knowledge and experience in at least one of the following areas:
- Manufacturing / Operations
- Supply Chain
- Finance / Accounting
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Sales and Marketing
Caterpillar is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future require sponsorship for employment visa status; however, as a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here.