JOB PURPOSE: To direct and participate in the concept and design of complex engineering products for release to production in a manner to ensure products provide superior performance, durability, quality, serviceability at the most affordable cost.
JOB DUTIES: This position represents the journey level position within design engineering. The key primary role of a Engineer – Design is that of an individual contributor to the planning and delivery of a project. This position will be accountable for contributing to the concept, simulation, development, validation, testing, certification and design of complex components, subsystems, or processes. This position performs complex analysis work, identifies design problems and resolves them.
Key areas of responsibility encountered in this role may include any or all of all the following:
- Design and development of new components, subsystems or processes. and groups;
- Support to validation, testing & certification activities of electrical components and subsystems;
- Keep up to date on new technologies or develop new technologies;
- Evaluate new products or processes;
- Work on continuous cost reduction ideas;
- Work closely with key suppliers on new product development;
- Communicate technical information to customers, team members, suppliers and other units;
- Perform Support facilities, dealers or customers for product maintenance.;
- Support and advise other engineers, managers, marketing personnel, customers and suppliers related to product design and performance.
Success factors –Demonstrating excellent analytical skills and a mastery of engineering concepts. Major challenges facing incumbents are meeting design goals for cost, reliability, performance, timelines and managing multiple priorities. This position must keep up to date on changing customer needs as the project progresses, stay current with new technology, and provide guidance and direction on the project to less experienced engineers, technologists, and technicians. Incumbents may be expected to bear significant responsibility for completion of a project with major focus on delivery.
Engineers must manage their own development, continuously learning through experience and staying abreast of technology. This position provides a platform for growth and leadership skills development.. Incumbent will have opportunities to work with a diverse cross function team for development of world class engineering solutions for our global products.
Key skills and Knowledge requirement:
- Must have thorough knowledge of the design and working of one or more of the following- AC Generators (Alternators), Voltage Regulators, Genset Controllers, Circuit Breakers, Relays, contactors, wiring harnesses, Digital & Analog I/O modules and, communication protocols (CAN, ethernet, RS232),. and other electrical components of a Genset.
- Knowledge of the NPI process and International standards like UL2200, UL489, IEC60947,
- Spatial & Conceptual design
- Should have good understanding working knowledge of of 3D/2D design & PLM software tools like Creo, Creo schematics, electrical lines, simulation tools, Teamcenter/Windchill etc.
- Experience to of electrical components selection, electrical circuit design & simulation., wiring harness & groups creation, control panel layout design,
- Debugging of electrical circuits and bench testing of electrical components.
- Demonstrate strong analytical skills and Strong analytical skills and technical leadership.
- Must be a team player with good communication and interpersonal skills
(Desired) Knowledge of Diesel & Gas Gensets, including sizing & synchronizing.
- Knowledge of Familiar to Diesel / Gas genset or similar automobile/machine products design, development, testing and certifications.
- Understanding of International standards like UL2200, UL489, IEC60947, IEC61439
- Should have knowledge of Experience in electrical product and components testing lab and (including certification (UL, IEC, CSA certification tests)
- Knowledge of the NPI process.
Working knowledge of &
Familiar to Diesel / Gas genset or similar automobile products design, development, testing and certifications.
- Electrical Engineering degree with 6-8 years in progressive engineering assignments to gain a mastery of complex electrical system design and concepts of relevant experience.
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering plus 4 to 6 years of relevant experience experience.
Relocation is available for this position.
Caterpillar is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO).
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here.