Your Work Shapes the World
Whether it be groundbreaking products, best in class solutions or creating a lifelong career, you can do the work that matters at Caterpillar. With a 95-year legacy of quality and innovation and 150 locations in countries around the world, your impact spans the globe.
When you join Caterpillar, you are joining a team of makers, innovators and doers. We are the people who roll up our sleeves and do the work to build a better world. We don’t just talk about progress and innovation. We make it happen. And we are proud of that, because it helps our customers build and power the world we live in – the roads, hospitals, homes and infrastructure. Without a dedicated workforce Caterpillar could not effectively meet our customer’s needs. Join us.
To direct and participate in the design and development of new product concepts and complex engineering projects for release to production in a manner to ensure products provide superior performance, durability, quality, and serviceability.
- Conceives and provides practical product design applications using complex technical principles. Emphasis of this position is on creating concepts and directing the design and development of complex engineering projects.
- Prepares concept, design, development, and feasibility studies of complex engineering projects. Delegates portions of the project to other engineers and leads and coordinates the design, analysis, and computer simulation effort.
- Prepares development plans and is responsible for meeting scheduled dates. Acts as the development team leader by interacting with Plant locations and various engineering departments.
- Conducts technical evaluations of major systems on competitive products.
- Coordinates product tests with prove design and prototype build up and test areas.
- Provides guidance to other engineers responsible for portions of the product project to ensure development schedules are met.
- Evaluates, defines, and resolves design and manufacturing problems.
- Travels to foreign and domestic plants, dealerships, and customer job sites to solve design problems or to field test locations to evaluate a product improvement.
- Uses technical expertise and product knowledge to play the leadership role in the problem resolution process when interfacing with Test and Evaluation, Service, Plant personnel, suppliers, and consultants.
- Works with manufacturability teams resolving problems with manufacturing and statistical process controls.
- Keeps abreast of latest technological advancements and prepares design concepts and develops unique product design features the Company often patents to gain competitive advantage.
- Travels worldwide to suppliers, production plants, dealerships, customer job sites, and field test locations related to the development of engineering projects and problem resolution.
- Requires a bachelor degree in an accredited Engineering, technology, Computer Science, or Materials Science curriculum plus 2-3 years experience or a masters degree in Engineering, technology, Computer Science, or Materials Science.
- Incumbent must be able to demonstrate the ability to gain a mastery of complex engineering and manufacturability concepts.
- Must have a good mechanical aptitude with ability to develop product concepts.
- Requires strong leadership ability and good communications skills.
- This position will close on 4/16/2021 at 11:59 p.m.
- This position is located in Lafayette, IN.
- Up to 25% Travel.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position. Any relocation costs incurred would be the responsibility of the selected applicant.
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here.