This team works on Front-End Application Development for Caterpillar internal, dealer, and end customer needs. The team also works on libraries and reusable components that are used by other teams across the Caterpillar enterprise.
JOB DUTIES: As a Principal Software Engineer you will lead all stages of software development including refining product vision, gathering requirements, project planning, software system design, coding, testing, release, deployment and support.
- Competent to perform all programming, project management, and development assignments without close supervision; normally assigned the more complex aspects of systems work.
- Lead role in complex projects spanning across multiple system components
- Work in all phases of product creation process including creating technical requirements, project planning, identifying dependencies, system architecture and development.
- Investigation and root cause analysis of software and system defects.
- Focus on productivity, quality and competitiveness of major technology initiatives.
- Apply knowledge and skills to solve most complex engineering problems.
- Organize and drive configuration management activities of the development process
- Works directly on complex application/technical problem identification and resolution, including responding to off-shift and weekend support calls.
- Works independently on complex systems or infrastructure components that may be used by one or more applications or systems.
- Drives application development focused around delivering business valuable features
- Mentor and assist software engineers, providing technical assistance and direction as needed
- Maintains high standards of software quality by establishing good practices and habits
- Identifies and encourage areas for growth and improvement
- Communicate with end users and internal customers to help direct development, debugging, and testing of application software for accuracy, integrity, interoperability, and completeness
- Performs integrated testing and customer acceptance testing of components that requires careful planning and execution to ensure timely, quality results.
- Position requires a four-year degree from an accredited college or university.
- 12 years or more of software development experience or at least 10 years of experience with master’s degree in computer science or related field.
- 5 years of demonstrated experience leading software engineering projects.
- 7 years or more of developing customer facing applications using front-end frameworks, libraries ( React / Angular / Polymer / Vue) and design patterns (3 years or more with a Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field)
- 7 years or more of experience coding HTML 5, CSS3 and Web components
Top candidates will also have:
- Demonstrated leadership on medium to large-scale projects impacting strategic priorities.
- Ability to cope with shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively prioritize, delegate responsibilities and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Proven experience in many of the following,
- Designing, developing, deploying and maintaining software at scale.
- Developing software applications using relational and Nosql databases.
- Application architectural patterns, such as MVC, Microservices, Event-driven, etc.
- Deploying software using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, GoCD, Azure Devops etc.
- Deploying and maintaining software using public clouds such as AWS or Azure.
- Unit testing frameworks, such as Jest or Mocha
- Working within an Agile framework
- Strong understanding and/or experience in many of the following,
- Experience designing well-defined Restful APIs
- Experience writing API proxies on platforms such as Apigee Edge, AWS API Gateway or Azure API Gateway
- Hands on experience with API tools such as Swagger, Postman and Assertible
- Test driven development and behavior driven development.
- Hands on experience with testing tools such as Selenium and Cucumber and their integration into CI/CD pipelines.
- Datastores such as MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis, Elasticsearch, MySQL, Oracle.
- Debugging and maintaining software in Linux or Unix platforms.
- Understanding of front-end state management libraries (redux)
- Must demonstrate solid knowledge of computer science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms.
- Ability to work under pressure and within time constraints
- Passion for technology and an eagerness to contribute to a team-oriented environment
- Demonstrated leadership on small to medium-scale projects impacting strategic priorities
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer science or Electrical engineering or related field is required
Visa sponsorship available for eligible applicants.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here.