For more than 90 years, Caterpillar Inc. has been making sustainable progress possible and driving positive change on every continent. Customers turn to Caterpillar to help them develop infrastructure, energy and natural resource assets. With 2019 sales and revenues of $53.8 billion, Caterpillar is the world’s leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. Services offered throughout the product life cycle, cutting-edge technology and decades of product expertise set Caterpillar apart, providing exceptional value to help our customers succeed. The company principally operates through three primary segments – Construction Industries, Resource Industries and Energy & Transportation – and provides financing and related services through its Financial Products segment.
JOB PURPOSE: To supervise the business process development, improvement, and ongoing support of Caterpillar’s Enterprise Ethics & Compliance Program within the Division. To supervise and provide centralized business resources for business operations to mitigate the risks of fraud and regulatory non-compliance in alignment with corporate objectives. This position will report to the Division Compliance Manager.
Direct reports of this position are typically Risk & Compliance Associates or Risk & Compliance Professionals. This position supports the development of a high level assessment of all business unit Compliance Risks associated with Caterpillar’s Enterprise Ethics & Compliance Program or the incumbent may have the responsibility of the focused implementation of a compliance program associated with a particular business unit risk or business location.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for all 17 risks in one high risk location within a division and/or one large risk across the all division locations.
- Consistent with Caterpillar’s Enterprise Ethics & Compliance Program, the incumbent will contribute to the development and implementation of the ethics and compliance program within the Division.
- Provide support to leaders in fostering and enhancing a values-based culture.
- Collaborate with all Compliance Risk process partners and act as an advisor to senior management for interpreting, analyzing, using and effectively responding to compliance information.
- Develop and maintain a close working relationship with the Business Manager or division professional responsible for compliance to ensure effective, efficient and compliant business processes, annual action plans and metrics for the Division.
- Establish and maintain strong partnering relationships with all risk owners in Caterpillar’s Ethics & Compliance Program; develop and maintain a close working relationship and coordination with the Office of Business Practices.
- Assist in the development and implementation of worldwide controls/processes to ensure compliance with Caterpillar’s Code, policies and procedures, and applicable laws by the Division.
- Support the Division’s annual Ethics & Compliance Risk Assessment in coordination with the Business Risk Management (BRM) process; identify key compliance risks and how they impact the Division.
- Deliver targeted communications on the Ethics & Compliance Program to the Division.
- Assist the Business Manager or division compliance professional responsible for compliance along with the HR Department to ensure completion of required Ethics & Compliance training (Annual Assessment & Questionnaire, required, job role, leadership) within the Division.
- Contribute to the timely completion of any applicable remediation plans to correct the issues identified through the course of a compliance audit, assessment or OBP investigation.
- Support the implementation of Enterprise policies and procedures.
- Develop relationships with the appropriate departments to ensure clear and effective implementation of policies.
- Coordinate with Business Manager or division professional responsible for compliance to identify and prioritize key compliance risks to the Division and develop action plans to support the most effective integration of compliance processes.
- Design, develop, implement, monitor, and report compliance metrics to demonstrate Ethics & Compliance Program effectiveness within the Division. Contribute content for reports to senior leaders, to the Office of Business Practices and to Risk Owners as required.
- Serve as a key contact, where appropriate, for Corporate Compliance Audits and Assessments.
- Set the tone on communications and play a key role delivering ethics and compliance learning needs within the Division.
- Participate in process-partner projects to improve overall ethics and compliance as well as culture alignment with Our Values in Action.
- Provide visibility of compliance issues/concerns to the Chief Ethics & Compliance Officer, Office of Business Practices, Divisional leadership, and Risk Owners.
- Identify process improvement opportunities for providing transparent transactional processes to increase the likelihood of consistent ethical behavior of employees at all levels.
- Coordinate with the appropriate Managers to provide Our Values in Action training to employees and timely training to new employees.
- Assist with other functions designated from time to time that supports the Office of Business Practices overall objective of fostering and enhancing Caterpillar’s ethical culture through an effective Ethics & Compliance Program.
- Participate / attend global and regional meetings in support of the Caterpillar’s Enterprise Ethics and Compliance Program.
The position’s primary customers are internal. Typical process partners include the Office of Business Practices, Enterprise and Regional Risk Owners, and compliance risk contacts (subject matter experts) within the Division. The incumbent will work directly with the Business Manager or division professional responsible for compliance within the Division on the Ethics & Compliance strategy for the Division. The position requires careful analysis, diagnosis, and confidential treatment of business unit issues. The incumbent may need to modify existing approaches or develop new solutions. The incumbent sets priorities and establishes a work plan in order to complete broadly defined assignments and achieve desired results.
The position will require some (approx 20%) travel, as the above-mentioned processes and responsibilities need to be implemented throughout ’s global operations.
- A degree in an appropriate discipline or equivalent compliance experience
- 3 to 5 years of compliance experience and an extensive understanding of complex compliance concepts and regulations
Top Candidates Will Also Have:
- Excellent analytical skills
- A self-starter with strong technical leadership skills
- Ability to communicate technical information effectively with team members and others in the work group, as well as employees in other units
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.