Manufacturing & Supply Chain
Are you ready to build what matters? Build More Than Machines. Build a Career.
Caterpillar is looking for candidates that want to build a career. This is a rare opportunity to join the Caterpillar Athens team as a direct hire. Position includes a wage of $22.16/hour ($20.52/hour plus 8%-night shift premium), quarterly goal sharing program and a comprehensive benefit program that begins on Day 1. Watch our video to see our Athens Team build top-of-the-line excavators and tractors.
As a Machinist at Caterpillar, Inc., you will directly support the fabrication of structures. This position will utilize tooling, fixtures, handling systems, safety, quality checks, inspection, ergonomics, and other duties as assigned.
Job duties may include the following:
- Uses various tools provided in the work area to perform machining duties including but not limited to:
- Ability to set up and operate CNC equipment and tooling.
- Operate CNC vertical and horizontal machining centers according to standard work instructions
- Positioning of heavy fabricated metal components in machining fixtures using lifting devices.
- General knowledge of manufacturing, methods, and processes (e.g., machining, machines/machine tools, cutting tools and fluids, instrumentation, measurement and control systems)
- Position heavy fabricated metal components in machining fixtures utilizing overhead and jib cranes
- Inspects own work quality utilizing gages, micrometers, etc.
- Set up cutting tools and inspect for wear
- Make/update CNC machine program changes
- Follows documented procedures standard work, routings, and blueprints to perform safe and defect free operations to create and machine components
- Follows and utilizes CPS principles of 5S, Continuous Improvement Idea Reporting, Waste Elimination, and Standard Work
- Keeps work area in a clean and orderly condition
- Research and test various cutting tools for cycle time/cost improvements
- Must have machining experience including the load/unload of machining work-holding fixtures
- Currently attending or completed a Machinist technical program (Machine Tool Technology, etc.)
- Intermediate proficiency (basic skills/knowledge; capable of functioning independently in operating inspection equipment, gauges and tools
Physical Requirements (with or without reasonable accommodation):
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods
- Ability to perform repetitive operations
- Ability to operate lifting devices
- Ability to lift up to 35 lbs.
Top candidates will also have:
- CNC machining experience
- Mazak machining experience
- CNC horizontal and vertical milling experience
- EIA Machine programming
- Intermediate proficiency using a computer
- Further education beyond high school
- Experience in manufacturing/planning
- Intermediate proficiency working with Standard Operating Procedures or Standard Work
- Basic print-reading ability
- Knowledge of machine centers
- Intermediate level of knowledge of technical requirements such as tolerance and fit.
- Ability to use and read quality inspection gauges
Note: Resumes are highly encouraged from all applicants. This is a 2nd or 3rd shift hourly position. Position includes a wage of $22.16/hour ($20.52/hour plus 8%-night shift premium), quarterly goal sharing program and a comprehensive benefit program that begins on Day 1. Machinists have the opportunity to progress with experience into advanced Machinist positions (up to $27.50/hour).
Please ensure you frequently check the e-mail account you provided on your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method in our recruiting process.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here.