Location: East Peoria, IL, United States
Date Posted: Nov 20, 2020
To perform conventional, less complex engineering assignments where building a working knowledge of Caterpillar and the products, technologies, processes, services, and systems related to specific job assignments is expected.
The key role of this second level engineering position is to move from learning and assisting others to learning to contribute independently. Sr. Associate Technologists are expected to be familiar with the company’s processes and methodologies. Work is typically directed by a senior engineer who might review both methods and results. Decisions on routine, limited risk issues that may affect the project team, suppliers, or internal customers may be made by this position. Challenges include meeting expectations in delivering results, learning to consider alternative courses of actions, making timely decisions, and developing communication skills.
Sr. Associate Technologists may work alongside engineers in any number of functional areas including, but not limited to, product design, development, research, metallurgy, quality, reliability, materials, manufacturing process, application and installation, product performance/support, service, and facilities.
Key areas of responsibility encountered in this role may include any or all of the following: perform needs analysis and initiate ideas; evaluate new products, processes or systems; communicate results to customers, suppliers, team members, and other business units; contribute to the design of new products and processes; perform product and process maintenance; support other engineers, managers, marketing personnel, customers, and suppliers.
Individuals in this position might expect to have several assignments allowing them to gain experience in multiple engineering functions. They will be expected to apply theory and concept in the assigned area. Sr. Associate Technologists must build an understanding of how and why decisions are made within their work group and organization. They may be responsible for applying those decisions to technology, theory, design or development of a component or test, maintenance of a product or process, analysis of data or test results, application of a system, etc.
Sr. Associate Technologists must manage their own development, continuously learning through experience and staying abreast of technology changes. Key learning comes from gaining experience in product, process and systems definition, selecting the most appropriate tools and techniques for a project and collaborating with people who work outside of engineering as well as technical communication and documentation.
- High initiative, self-starter, and history of high performance
- Degree or diploma in drafting, industrial arts, or engineering
- 5 + years Design Technologist ProE/Creo modeling experience
- 3 + years managing engineering data in Caterpillar Teamcenter or related PLM experience
- Experience to creating, reading, and understanding Engineering Drawings, 1E Specifications, and GD&T
- Experience coaching, mentoring, or training
Top Candidates will also have:
- Strong Networking and Interpersonal Skills
- Releasing experience in CAT EDS
- Experience with JT models and creating shrink-wraps to remove IP
- Quality and model validation related experience
- Ability to work through Caterpillar matrix to solve customer problems
- Six Sigma Black Belt Experience