Location: East Peoria, IL, United States
Date Posted: Nov 13, 2020
As Supplier Quality Manager, you directly manage the site inbound supplier quality performance for US Drivetrain. You build and leverage your relationships across Purchasing, Product, and Operations, as well as deep problem solving expertise, to achieve sustained excellence in supplier quality. You and your team of Quality Engineers represent our customers and our facility in collaborating directly with suppliers on improvements. The Supplier Quality Manager is a key contributor to overall facility quality improvement initiatives and owns top tier quality metrics such as Inbound Supplier PPM. You act with urgency to diffuse high impact supplier issues affecting the facility and communicate to leadership as the single point of contact. You build collaborative relationships with suppliers to ensure shared success and continuous improvement.
Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
* Direct leadership and development of a team of supplier-facing Quality Engineers (SQEs)
* Lead the reactive response to supplier-caused quality issues impacting the facility; containment, supplier engagement, rate/flow of known good material, initiation of corrective action with supplier, material disposition, etc.
* Problem Solving: utilize defect symptom data to identify broken upstream processes (internal to Cat and at supplier) and drive accountable owners to deliver permanent corrective actions
* Single Point of Contact: communicate regularly with process partners & leadership on material and corrective action status. Manage escalation of potential high-impact quality issues to ACM/ICS Leadership and lead coordination of subsequent actions as required.
*Teach/Coach Lean concepts (especially BIQ, stop function) at suppliers.
* Develop supplier quality strategy for the facility, including bold target setting and related project portfolio. Collaborate, support, and align as appropriate with Resource Industries Supply Management (RISM), Corporate Quality, and ACM Divisional Quality strategies as appropriate
* Support facility Operations team from a Supplier Quality perspective; input to various Operations meetings including strategy, day-to-day planning & execution, etc
* Coordinate with colleagues in Product Support, Customer Quality, Quality Inspection, & BIQ to understand and manage the entire end-to-end Quality value chain as a team
* Manage applicable aspects of the facility CQMS/ISO quality management system, CAV, etc
* Be one of the lead voices/coaches in the facility Voice of the Customer meetings and ensure supplier issues are reported on appropriately.
* Collect accurate data and coordinate with category purchasing teams on financial recoveries related to high pain supplier quality issues
* Be plugged-in to future planning activity such as supplier sourcing decisions, NPI, etc., that introduce risk to the facility and advise on appropriate mitigation efforts
* Manage corresponding budget related to the supplier quality team
* Moderate travel required (especially early in assignment); largely issue-dependent and can be as high as 25%
* Bachelor’s degree required
* 7+ years experience in Manufacturing and/or related Support areas (Purchasing, Engineering, Supply Chain, etc)
* Prior supervisory, team leader, or work director experience
Top Candidates will also have:
* Prior experience working in a manufacturing or engineering environment is desired, with detailed knowledge of manufacturing processes and quality disciplines, techniques, tools, and equipment.
* Prior experience in a direct supplier-facing role, supplier development, or other role with high supplier interaction
* Ability to manage, build relationships, and influence in a matrix environment is highly desired
* Prior Operational Excellence (Lean, 6 Sigma, etc) experience highly desired
* Experience with Quality Management Systems (ISO, CQMS, etc) and auditing manufacturing operations
* Experience with problem solving techniques, analytical skills, RCCA, etc.
* Prior technical process experience (especially foundry, machined components) is a plus
* Prior operational or product experience in drivetrain components and systems is a plus
* Quality Certifications through ASQ are a plus