Location: Bangalore, KA, India
Date Posted: Nov 5, 2020
JOB PURPOSE: To serve as an experienced, individual contributor on projects and assignments that are complex in nature and that support and enhance Caterpillar product performance, durability, reliability, quality, and serviceability.
Virtual Product Development (Simulation) division in India comprising group of 150+ highly educated and talented engineer functioning from multiple locations in line with corporate global footprint strategy and providing simulation support to Caterpillar’s global business units in Structural, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Engine and Machine Performance Simulation etc. areas.
JOB RELATED STATISTICS: Experienced individual contributor with ability to develop and perform complex simulations individually and/or in a team environment with accountability on quality, velocity, cost and enhance Caterpillar product performance, durability, reliability, quality, and serviceability.
JOB DUTIES: This position represents the journey level position for engineering related functions. This person has built significant, deep expertise in one or multiple technical areas. The key role of a Senior Associate Engineer /Engineer - Performance/Simulation/Application is that of an individual contributor. This position will be accountable for contributing to the identification, analysis, and resolution of needs and problems in a discipline for which the incumbent is beginning to build a reputation as an experienced simulation engineer. This position performs complex analysis work, identifies and resolves problems. Although this position may be the transition from individual contributor to technical leadership, the major focus of the job is on technical delivery. Incumbents may work more directly with different units, suppliers, customers, and/or other teams and begin enhancing general and business skills. This requires the ability to communicate technical information in a concise and accurate manner. Decisions may significantly impact on: product performance, durability, quality, reliability, and serviceability; negotiations with suppliers; leveraging new technologies; warranty; total cost of non-quality; costs; sales; and customer perception.
Success factors for the Senior Associate Engineer /Engineer - Performance/Simulation/Application include demonstrating excellent analytical skills and a mastery of engineering concepts. Major challenges facing incumbents are meeting goals for cost, reliability, and performance, and managing multiple priorities. This position must keep up-to-date on changing customer needs as the project progresses, stay current with new technology, and provide guidance and direction on the project to less experienced engineers, technologists, and technicians. Incumbents may be expected to bear significant responsibility for completion of a project with major focus on quality and delivery.
Key areas of responsibility encountered in this role may include any or all of the following: evaluate products and processes; perform needs analysis and initiate ideas; perform product maintenance; keep up to date on new technologies or develop new technologies; communicate technical information to dealers, customers, team members, suppliers, and other units; support and advise other engineers, managers, marketing personnel, dealers, customers, and suppliers; and develop and maintain keen understanding of internal and external customers’ needs.
The Senior Associate Engineer /Engineer - Performance/Simulation/Application must manage their own development, continuously learning through experience and staying abreast of technology. Key skills to be developed at this level are data extraction/analysis, failure analysis and problem solving, application of simulation tools and methods, and practical application of theory and concepts.
The successful candidate for this Senior Associate Engineer /Engineer position must have a Post Graduate/PhD degree from a reputed institution, in an accredited Engineering curriculum (Mechanical/Design/Automobile/Aerospace) plus 4 to 8 years of structural simulation experience related to product development/validation. He/she will be part of the Solar Turbines Structural Simulation team which performs virtual validation related to structural durability of Caterpillar engines (Reciprocating/Rotary).
Incumbents must have demonstrated sound technical expertise related to
· Proven CFD competency in designing & evaluating Industrial and Aero Gas turbines
· Sound knowledge and experience in thermal analysis of gas turbines
· Expertise in using CFD tools like Star CCM+/ ANSYS CFX/ Ansys Fluent for solving steady and transient reactive flows, Injector and fuel nozzle sensitivity simulation
· Design and evaluation of secondary flow reduction technologies in combustors
· Expertise in Thermodynamic Performance Analysis of gas turbine engines
· Exposure to cascade rig pre/post testing and analysis
· Experience in complex validation projects/programs, technical coaching/mentoring other team members
· Knowledge/Exposure about using statistical methods for uncertainty quantifications and the sensitivity of the simulation results due to variations in the input parameters/process
Preferred Non-Technical Skills:
· Requires a self-starter with strong technical leadership skills
· Excellent analytical skills and the ability to perform complex tasks
· Must have ability to communicate technical information effectively with team members and others in the work group, as well employees in other units, customers, and suppliers
· Demonstrated excellent judgement and decision-making ability
· Demonstrated ability to independently solve problems
· Excellent Team work and collaboration skills