Location: Mossville, IL, United States
Date Posted: Oct 13, 2020
Caterpillar takes a system view of the life of our products. We design and manufacture them for multiple lives. Our dealers support and service them to maximize their value to the customer. We remanufacture them at the end of their serviceable life to deliver the next generation of value. Our industry-leading engineering and manufacturing expertise, large field population, and world-class dealer organization make this possible. This total life cycle approach allows us to provide sustainable solutions that help our customers build a better world.
We have been remanufacturing our products since 1972 and are considered the world's largest remanufacturing company. For more information about Cat Reman, please visit https://www.caterpillar.com/en/brands/cat-reman.html.
Caterpillar Remanufacturing currently has an opening for a Senior Data Scientist supporting the Mossville, IL facility. This position will use quantitative methods such as business simulations, data mining, and advanced statistical techniques to solve problems. The Senior Data Scientist contributes to this mission by acting as the technical lead of analytics project teams tasked with solving problems of low to medium complexity or business impact.
Job responsibilities to include but not limited to:
Caterpillar uses quantitative techniques to solve problems. Typical problems include maximizing OPACC through improvements in Inventory Costs, Material Costs, NPI costs, etc; Recommending the optimal supplier for a part; identifying sales, rental, and service opportunities for Caterpillar dealers; and developing simulation/optimization capabilities to model a new facility or product feature. In addition, analytics experts also provide assistance to high-profile enterprise wide projects such as the Engineered Value Chain. The principal responsibility of Senior Data Scientist is to move from being an individual contributor on analytic teams to acting as the technical lead on such teams. He or she will participate on cross-functional project teams, provide overall guidance to the technical direction of the project, and mentor Jr Information Scientists on the technical approaches being used in order to solve a problem presented by a Caterpillar Business Unit or Service Organization, a Caterpillar Dealer, or a Caterpillar Customer
The Senior Data Scientist will:
- Demonstrate a breadth of knowledge in the application statistical methods and/or digital methods
to solve business problems
- Coach and mentor other Information Scientists in the creation, validation, and application of
statistical models, as well as in implementing digital solutions;
- Participate on 3-4 projects concurrently
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of Caterpillar Inc.; its products and services; its internal
systems, processes, and procedures; and its relevant external influences (competitors, laws and
regulations, market conditions, etc.) to meet or exceed customer expectations.
- Demonstrate strong initiative to research and apply new methods to exceed customer
- Have a strong focus on continual learning in the Analytics field
Significant challenges of this position are working with people; enhancing the team’s creativity;
maintaining knowledge of approaches used in similar projects; and pushing the technical bounds of experimentation while meeting customer commitments. The Senior Data Scientist acts as overall technical lead for the team in establishing a sound analytic approach for solving the problem at hand. The incumbent will develop good networks within the technical community to enable them to collaborate on Caterpillar: Confidential Green
technical solutions, obtain resources and cooperation needed, and remove roadblocks so that they can insure the success of their team.
The Senior Data Scientist reports to an Information and Analysis Supervisor and bears primary
responsibility for solving the business problem presented through applied analytics.
The Senior Data Scientist demonstrates thorough statistical and/or digital technology knowledge and the ability to solve low to medium complexity problems. He or she demonstrates very good communication skills, being able to explain conclusions to customers with limited knowledge and experience with quantitative analytical methods. As the first Senior technical analytic position, they are not expected to have previous experience leading teams, but they should exhibit strong communications, a penchant for innovation, above average initiative, people development, and interpersonal skills. The incumbent should also have a comprehensive knowledge of Caterpillar Inc.; its products and services; its internal systems, processes, and procedures; and a general understanding of Caterpillar’s external customers, competitors, and market influencers.
· 3 - 5 job related analytics experience such as statistics, economics, coding, and/or mathematics.
* Highly proficient applying
python and/or R (NumPy, SciPy, pandas, etc) programming to solve business
· Experience with Data Visualization tools like Python,Tableau or PowerBI.
· Experience deploying data analytics applications to users
· Previous program/project management leadership
Top Candidates Will Also Have:
· Bachelor Degree (in statistics, economics, mathematics, or a similar field with quantitative coursework)
· Highly skilled in statistics packages like SAS, SPSS, or Minitab
· Proficient with MS Excel, Access, Word, and PowerPoint
· Experience working with Agile processes
· Must demonstrate strong leadership and initiative
· Ability to communicate effectively
· Proficient working with a variety of Caterpillar Data Sources
· Prior Caterpillar experience and Reman product knowledge
· Experience working with aws cloud services such as S3, EC2, SageMaker, SnowFlake, ECR, or Batch
· Experience working with a data pipeline framework such as Airflow, Dagster, or Kedro
This position will have the option of working in Mossville or US remote.
Occasional travel - less than 10%
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as, H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - including minorities,
females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Relocation assistance is offered for this position.