This job posting is no longer active.
Location: East Peoria, IL, United States
Date Posted: Oct 12, 2020
Since 1925, Caterpillar Inc. has been helping our customers build a better world - making sustainable progress possible and driving positive change on every continent. With 2019 sales and revenues of $53.8 billion, Caterpillar is the world's leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. Services offered throughout the product life cycle, cutting-edge technology and decades of product expertise set Caterpillar apart, providing exceptional value to help our customers succeed. The company principally operates through three primary segments - Construction Industries, Resource Industries, and Energy & Transportation - and provides financing and related services through its Financial Products segment. For more information, visit caterpillar.com. To connect on social media, visit caterpillar.com/social-media.
The Lean Section Manager position represents the first level of management in the factory, supervising one to three teams, with a range of 10-20 total team members to supervise. In some instances, an additional team lead may be required to provide technical or administrative support for the role. Caterpillar’s Lean Section Manager position leads teams and supervises people in manufacturing sections to deploy lean principles and ensure safety practices are followed to maximize efficiency in quality, velocity and cost.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
* Lead deployment of Built In Quality (BIQ) and Right Part Right Time (RPRT).
* Facilitate SORT meetings and Boardwalks across Assembly/Machining/Heat Treat disciplines.
* Practicing and teaching fundamental Lean Principles.
* Protect the customer through ensuring stop capability at quality gates.
* Prioritizing resources and adjusting staffing to meet flow and customer requirements.
* Monitoring and improving shop floor safety, aggressively eliminating unsafe processes/practices and addressing unsafe behaviors.
* Leading daily communication meetings and driving continuous improvement based on data and prescribed metrics performance.
* Assisting with training and implementing standardized work processes and documentation.
* Assuring that standard work process are followed to meet production schedules ensuring safety, quality, velocity and cost targets.
* Escalating resolution of issues that require additional or external resources.
* Maintaining the accuracy and reviewing the timeliness of recorded process data through use of AQE and Digital systems.
* Performing periodic section walks to audit for safety behavior, 5S and housekeeping, quality requirements, such as CAV/CQMS, standard work, productivity and OEE/OPE.
* Driving continuous improvement to solve complex problems through leading root cause analysis and implementation of corrective actions.
* Ability to distinguish a symptom from a problem and coach to resolution.
* Determining and executing disciplinary action when appropriate.
* Evaluating, assessing, identifying and leading the deployment of workforce training.
* Initiating and conducting process improvement dialogs with Team Leads and Team Members.
* Monitoring and auditing PQVC metrics continuously and reports out via meetings and walks.
* Demonstrating sound leadership and improving employee engagement, values, inclusion, etc. by working with team member to create an action plan based on Insights and MGL results.
* A college degree or 5 years manufacturing experience.
* Manufacturing supervisory experience of 2 years or more.
* Good communication, interpersonal and teamwork skills are required to develop a cooperative working relationship with others inside and outside the department.
* Demonstrated leadership skills from previous roles or job assignments.
* Ability to work with and influence a diverse group of employees and customers, such as Section Manager, Manufacturing Engineer, Scheduler, etc.
* Strong organizational and time management skills.
Top Candidates Will Also Have:
* Prior experience in Lean(BIQ/RPRT).
* Prior Inspection/Quality experience.
* Prior Assembly/Machining/Heat Treat Experience
* CPS/Six Sigma Green or Black Belt.