This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Chicago, IL, United States
Date Posted: Sep 28, 2020
The Cat® Digital group is the digital and technology arm of Caterpillar Inc., responsible for bringing world class capabilities to our products and services. With almost one million connected assets worldwide, we're focused on using IoT and other data, advanced analytics, and ML/AI capabilities to help our customers build a better world. To accomplish this, we’re deploying analytics that generate insights, recommend optimized decisions, and improve products by intelligently integrating massive quantities of telematics information, transactional records, images, unstructured documents, and other data sources.
Cat Digital’s IoT Analytics team is looking for a talented and motivated Data Scientist to develop and deliver ML/AI- and physics-based analytics models to support equipment condition monitoring for customers and dealers, as well as to improve product development for the enterprise. As a Data Scientist, you will use machine learning, deep learning, neural networks, and other analytics techniques on time-series machine sensor data and other datasets to better understand data patterns, identify device health anomalies, predict equipment failure modes, etc.
The Data Scientist will prototype, develop, iterate, test, and deploy models to production, resolving problems independently to meet project deadlines. A fast learner with excellent communication skills, the incumbent effectively collaborates with diverse teams (including other data scientists, product design/simulation experts, software/application developers, condition monitoring analysts) to develop analytics algorithms on complex IoT systems that serve strategic objectives.
Example projects include:
• Applying machine learning to time series datasets to classify machine failure modes
• Improving machine health monitoring capability via digital twin development
• Developing new anomaly detection schemes
• Exploring new analytic techniques to improve issue detection accuracy and reduce false positives
• M.S. degree in data science, computer science, applied mathematics/statistics, analytics, operations research, computational areas of physics, electrical or mechanical engineering, or equivalent
• 3 plus years of work experience or equivalent developing and deploying advanced algorithms on large datasets
TOP CANDIDATE WILL ALSO HAVE:
• Demonstrated expertise in Machine Learning/AI applied to data modeling and analysis (publications in ML a plus)
• Strong python programming skills (numpy, scipy, pandas, sklearn, etc.) in developing analytics on large datasets
• AWS Cloud Practitioner certification (or other advanced AWS certification)
• Excellent presentation, communication, interpersonal, and collaboration skills
• Experience building or working with popular cloud data and analytics platforms (AWS, Azure, etc.)
• Experience working in an Agile software development environment using Git, AZDO, etc.
• Experience analyzing telematics data from heavy equipment IOT systems (machine, engine, transmission, etc.), e.g. developing timeseries analytics algorithms
• Familiarity with physical/engineering system simulation/analysis
• Demonstrated capability to take initiative and lead in the presence of ambiguity to deliver innovative solutions
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers