Job Title: Paint Laboratory Technician
Salary: £28,489 rising to £31,580 once job metrics are met – shift allowances apply – 20% for afternoons, 27% nights (when operating)
Benefits: 27 days annual leave + bank holidays, Bonus, Share Scheme (50% Company Matched), Contributory Pension Scheme (Contribution doubled by Company up to 10%), Free Car Parking, Caterpillar Advantage website
Location: Desford, Leicestershire
Hours: Full Time - 37.50 – multishift role – days and afternoons, a nightshift may operate in the future.
Travel: Not required
Relocation/Sponsorship: Not supported with this role
Closing Date: Friday 25 September
Job Reference: 200004OF
Caterpillar is a world leader in construction and mining equipment—creating innovative, cutting-edge products and services that help our customers build the world around us. With that level of impact comes the platform to care for the world we work in. That’s why we lead sustainable green initiatives to preserve the environment, help reduce poverty with the Caterpillar Foundation and stay involved in the communities we help build.
What will Caterpillar do for you?
From day one, you’re set up to thrive at Caterpillar: helpful training, relatable mentors, global experience, competitive salary package, work-life balance and the growth opportunities you expect with a Fortune 100 company. Your power is our success and we are committed to empowering yours. After all, when your work can impact the entire world, it’s important to do work that matters.
At Caterpillar, we are committed to a diverse and inclusive environment that values and respects the unique talents, experiences and viewpoints of our global employees. Our vision is to continually develop the Best Team to build innovative solutions for our global customers, deliver superior results for our stockholders and positively impact the people and communities we serve.
As a Paint Laboratory Technician working within the Building Construction Products Paint Plant, you will be responsible for controlling and monitoring all Paint Plant processes.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Monitor the process tanks used for pre-treatment and electro-deposition by carrying out laboratory tests of tank samples. Make manual chemical additions or adjust dosing rates if necessary.
- Monitor the plant equipment so that process temperatures, tank levels and spray pressures are kept within the specified limits.
- Maintain and upkeep the wastewater area and DI plants. This will include analysis of treated water.
- Ensure proper housekeeping, safety and environmental procedures are enforced.
- Perform preventative maintenance tasks (i.e. filter changes, tank cleaning and unblocking spray pipework) and liaise with the maintenance department to rectify any issues.
- Record process data onto a database and carry out statistical analysis at the end of each month.
- Test the properties of the finished paint surface. This will include measuring film thickness, gloss and orange peel levels. Produce test panels to test for paint adhesion and hardness (internal check) and carry out corrosion testing (external check).
- Replenish chemicals and other supplies. This includes maintenance of the material inventory.
- Use a forklift truck to transport chemicals and waste products around the site.
- Adhere to the Organisation's health & safety policy and safe working practices.
NB. The panel cannot make assumptions when shortlisting therefore please demonstrate your qualifications and experience on your CV relevant to the criteria outlined.
Candidates will have gained the following skills and experience through previous roles:
- Experience of paint processes in an industrial environment.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- The ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- PC literate - basic working knowledge of Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- Confident in decision making.
- High level of initiative and self-motivation.
Candidates may have gained the following skills and experience through previous roles:
- Experience in a paint laboratory for pre-treatment and/or electro-deposition production lines.
- Experience in wet paint techniques.
- Possess a current forklift truck licence.
Pending the number of applications, the criteria for the position may be enhanced to facilitate shortlisting.
Caterpillar is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO). All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We are a Disability Confident Committed Employer
To apply for this position please log onto Caterpillar Careers (http://www.caterpillar.com/en/careers) > Careers > Search and apply > Experienced Professionals > paste the job number from the advert into the search box and then follow the application process.