This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Chennai, TN, India
Date Posted: Oct 10, 2020
Job Title: NPI Costing Lead
The NPI Costing Lead is a leadership cum individual contribution role, bringing technical expertise and guidance on supporting/improving cost effectiveness of new products delivered by the NPI process working closely with a cross-functional team comprising engineering, purchasing & costing.
• Project leadership is the prime focus. Will have to execute projects through extensive collaboration, technical guidance to team for scope clarity & clearing roadblocks.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
• Plan and manage the job/project; -Manage the business/financial aspects of the job or project; Be a spokesperson of the team.
• Provide a supportive work environment for the team;
• Mentor, coach, and develop others; and manage one’s own development.
• Key customer focussed & must understand critical customer requirements.
• Use technical expertise and product knowledge to play the leadership role in the Optimization projects with innovative solutions.
• Support and advise other engineers of Cost Analysis team, other Product Development teams and suppliers.
• Provide expert opinion on the Cost modelling and Optimization effort.
• Own the product cost delivery along with the cross functional NPI teams, drive functional cost reviews.
• Devise the strategy for cost reduction though data analysis, should costing, design changes & negotiation.
• Work with the product/NPI managers & BR teams to set the right cost targets for NPI.
• Work with the cross-functional teams to ensure correctness of the cost roll up.
• Provide leadership in the implementation of cost reduction actions throughout the NPI cycle.
• Generate cost reduction actions & ideas and work with Purchasing & Design teams for implementation.
• Audit and establish standards, policies and practices relating to quality, cost reduction, in performing cost modelling and optimization.
• Stay abreast with variable & material cost movement to provide value in manufacturing strategy for a cost standpoint.
• Provide levers to Purchasing for negotiation & participate in critical negotiations with suppliers.
• Provide cost analysis, cost walk, trade-off analysis of cost vs features in NPI reviews.
• Research and develop new technology in the area of manufacturing.
• Play the role of a SME in team meetings / discussions.
• Has far reaching impact on project team/immediate workgroup/division/BU/suppliers/customers/CAT market.
• Manage financial/business aspects of deliverables.
• Coach & mentor team members to get better performance.
Learning & Development:
• Incumbent must manage their own development, continuously learning through experience new business knowledge and skill, interpersonal and leadership skills, and understanding the customers’ needs and application of the product or process, as well as keeping up with technology.
• Process Planning - Devises process plans to include work standards, standard work, planned method cycle time and quality control plans.
• Technical Project Management - Manages project work and project teams to solve technical issues and meet commitments. Includes the ability to use project management tools to control time, cost and quality objectives and to clearly communicate these objectives to all team members.
• Manufacturing Process Comprehension - Comprehensive knowledge and experience of manufacturing processes for construction equipment – Heavy & light fabrications, hydraulics, electrical & electronics, cabins, engines & after treatment.
• Technical Acumen - Print reading includes geometric dimensioning and tolerancing, Six Sigma, CPS/Lean principles, data analysis, general computer and information systems (utilizing various MS-Office 360 tools).
• New Product Introduction (NPI) - Understanding of 8 phases of Caterpillar's NPI Process (Strategy, Define, Measure, Explore, Design, Verify, Pilot and Production) to deliver quality services to customers.
• Tool Design and Selection - Effectively applies appropriate tools and methods for a given process such as assembly, machining, welding & fabrication.
• Functional Manufacturing Expertise - Knowledge in the tenets of lean manufacturing, and Enterprise Excellence processes, best practices, and tools.
• Tools & Expertise: Product Data Management (Teamcenter Engineering), Creo, Costing knowledge like material rates, work centre rates, labour and overheads etc., Product Knowledge -Machines and Engines, Knowledge on Costing Software usage.
• Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in an accredited Engineering (must be from Mechanical/Automotive engineering streams) with 15 to 20 years of relevant work experience (Design & Development, Manufacturing, Product Costing etc. of Earthmoving/Construction Products like Dozers, Motor Graders, Pavers, Compactors, Road Processing machines, Excavators, Back-Hoe Loaders etc.).
• Strong analytical skills.
• Proven team leadership skills.
• Global working exposure.
• Analysis, Communication, Decision Making, Initiative, Innovation, Team work, Technical knowledge, Project Leadership.
• Masters degree (or equivalent) in an accredited Engineering (Mechanical engineering with specialisation in Machine/Product Design, Automotive, Applied Mechanics etc.).
• Good communication, interpersonal and collaboration skills.