Location: Chicago, IL, United States
Date Posted: Oct 24, 2020
Caterpillar is investing in our digital future, and we’re looking for innovative and curious Software Engineers to start their careers with us as a part of the Cat Digital- Digital Development Program!
The Cat Digital - Digital Development Program is a two-year intentional development program designed to build digital and business acumen for the next generation of digital innovators. Through the program participants will expand their technical skills through engagement with cutting edge technologies and gain an understanding of how digital and the business work together to build solutions for a better world. Our program provides the right foundation for software engineers to thrive in a culture of intellectual curiosity and meeting challenging goals supported by a network of digital leaders that want you to be a contributing member of a winning team.
What is Cat Digital?
Cat Digital is the digital and technology arm of Caterpillar Inc., responsible for bringing world class digital capabilities to our products and services. With almost one million connected assets worldwide, we're focused on using IoT and other data, technology, advanced analytics and AI capabilities to help our customers build a better world.
What Will This Look Like?
We believe that you become the best when you have the best start. That is what we will provide!
• A comprehensive introduction to Caterpillar, Inc. and Cat Digital will set
you up for success working with our team, customers and products
• Intentional experiences designed around some of our greatest customer
• Opportunity to explore existing and the latest technologies with top digital
leaders that want you to succeed
• Collaborate with a cohort of diverse minded program members that will
challenge and support you
• Increase business acumen skills that enable you to successfully align the
right technology to the need
What Must I Have?
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering/ Technology related programs
• Passion for technology and an eagerness to contribute to a team-oriented environment
• Proven experience using your technical skills to solve problems through internships,
professional organizations, student group leadership or community involvement
• Evidence of leadership capabilities through internships, professional organizations, student
group leadership or community involvement
• Desire to learn and grow
• Software development experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages:
• GPA of a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
What Would be Good to Have?
• Proven experience in some of the following:
o Designing, developing, deploying and maintaining software at scale.
o Developing software applications using relational and Nosql databases.
o Application architectural patterns, such as MVC, Microservices, Event-driven, etc.
o Deploying software using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, GoCD, Azure Devops etc.
o Deploying and maintaining software using public clouds such as AWS or Azure.
o Working within an Agile framework
o Open source projects
• Strong understanding and/or experience in some of the following:
o Batch or stream processing systems such as Apache Spark, Flink, Akka, Storm
o Message brokers such as Kafka, Rabbitmq, AWS SQS, AWS SNS, Apache
o Experience designing well-defined Restful APIs
o Experience writing API proxies on platforms such as Apigee Edge, AWS API Gateway
or Azure API Gateway
o Hands one experience with API tools such as Swagger, Postman and Assertible
o Test driven development and behavior driven development.
o Hands on experience with testing tools such as Selenium and Cucumber and their
integration into CI/CD pipelines.
o Datastores such as MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis, Elasticsearch, MySQL, Oracle.
o Knowledge of data pipeline and workflow management tools: Azkaban, Luigi, Airflow,
o Knowledge of AWS cloud services: Snowflake or Redshift
o Knowledge of data structures, algorithms, profiling & optimization.
o Knowledge of of SQL, ETL design, and data modeling techniques
• Top candidates will have GPA 3.5 or higher
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals – including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities – are encouraged to apply.
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers