This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Chennai, TN, India
Date Posted: Aug 3, 2020
An Engineer on the EC&S team is responsible for developing a design that meets customer requirements, supports the design control product strategy, aligns to the performance recipe, and is manufacturable by the supply base. Working with other engineers and contract or offshore engineers on the same team, they will develop a design through the standard work of APQP, NPI, and CPI. This will include cascading requirements to tech specs, interface analysis, ownership of DFMEA, boundary conditions for analysis, creating the BOM structure, guiding the packing/space claim of the design, ownership of component costs, supplier process development and quality, and system integration within the scope of the design control.
Job Duties/Responsibilities for a Design Engineer may include, but are not limited to:
* Directing all design work related to on time design, modeling, detailing and releasing of engineering drawings
* Creating a content guide based on requirements and product strategy
* Understanding and adhering to project schedule
* Partnering with contract and offshore engineers to develop and maintain BOM’s and Models
* Owning all engineering print releases, including GD&T, notices, corrections, etc
* Managing content on all job numbers (i.e. part numbers v job number)
* Cascading requirements to Tech Specs through Boundary Diagram, and leading DFMEA
* Supporting design reviews with on schedule, completed staff work
* Preparing design review material for DAV’s
* Developing suppliers to deliver quality parts with help from Process Control Engineer (APQP)
* Owning component cost and working with suppliers, PCE’s and buyers to optimize designs
* Owning product cost and preparing cost rollups
* Point of contact for all field issues requiring engineering support
* Point of contact for all manufacturing issues requiring engineering support
Individuals may have multiple assignments during their tenure as Design Engineer. Assignments may require the Engineer to review the work of technicians or other support personnel, provide technical advice to individuals at various levels in the organization and work with another unit or team. Assignments will become more complex and require the Engineer to assume a significant role, either as an individual contributor or as part of a project team, with increasing emphasis on analyzing, identifying, and applying engineering techniques to solve problems and make recommendations.
Engineers must manage their own development, continuously learning through experience and staying abreast of technology. Key learning should be rounded out during this tenure, including knowledge of Caterpillar and competitive product performance and application, understanding of customers’ needs, working knowledge of key processes, data analysis, and data extraction skills. Project management skills are being honed at this level.