Since 1925, Caterpillar Inc. has been helping our
customers build a better world – making sustainable progress possible and
driving positive change on every continent.
As a Tooling Technician at Caterpillar Inc. you will perform a variety of functions in the construction, alteration and repair of jigs, fixtures, gages, metal working dies and machine tool parts. You will be required to trouble shoot and repair jigs, fixtures, dies, etc. on the shop floor.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Set up, operation, and adjustments on one or more machine tools to perform machining operations for dies, jigs, fixtures, repair parts, miscellaneous tooling, experimental parts, etc. to required tolerances
- Determine methods and procedures applicable to operations to be performed, which include improvising of setups, selection of materials and tooling
- Use of gages, performs basic welding and heat treatment
- General housekeeping and other duties as assigned to maintain a safe and productive department
- CNC controlled machines is required in this position
- Work overtime when necessary
- Knowledge and ability to layout complex tool room jobs
- Machinist skills (ALL types: Grinders, Mills, Lathes, Drills, Welding, Heat Treat, Jig/Bore grinding, etc.)
- Ability to troubleshoot and repair fixtures, tooling, and machines in the shop
- Successful completion of the revised toolmaker math assessment
- Working knowledge of CNC controls as well as cad/cam software
- Completion of an accredited 4 year Toolmaker Apprenticeship or
- Minimum 6 years Job Shop or Tool Room experience or
- Associate Degree from an accredited Technical School with 4 years experience
Top Candidates Will also Have:
- Welding and hydraulics experience
- Systems knowledge (ERS, JMI, JIS, HN, RASTAR)
- Must be receptive to change and accept overtime as required
- Working knowledge of CNC Controls
- Ability to hold tight tolerances on grinding, lathe work, and CNC milling/drilling work
- Ability to gauge tight tolerance parts
- Ability to determine heat treat required and perform said functions
- Location of this position is in Lafayette, IN
- Full time position with full benefits (Healthcare, dental, vision, 401K with 6% company match, etc.)
- This will be a 3rd Shift position.
- Please attach an updated resume
Please ensure you frequently check the e-mail account you provided on your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method in our recruiting process.
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers
Caterpillar is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO). All qualified individuals- including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities- are encouraged to apply.