Lead Data Scientist, Cat Digital
This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Chicago, IL, United States
Date Posted: Jul 7, 2020
Cat Digital is the digital and technology arm of Caterpillar Inc., responsible for bringing world class digital capabilities to our products and services. With almost one million connected assets worldwide, we're focused on using IoT and other data, technology, advanced analytics and AI capabilities to help our customers build a better world.
Cat Digital’s Advanced Data Quality team is looking for a talented and motivated Lead Data Scientist to help improve platform data quality by developing and delivering ML/AI models to address the most challenging data quality issues. As a Lead Data Scientist, you will apply machine learning and other analytics techniques on a very large set of diverse data from IoT connected assets and our integrated network of dealers.
JOB DUTIES: As a Lead Data Scientist, you will contribute to the design, development, deployment, and quality of Caterpillar’s state-of-the-art digital platform by leading the development of advanced Data Quality methods and routines.
- Competent to perform all programming, project management, and development assignments without close supervision; normally assigned the more complex aspects of systems work.
- Acts as team leader for development and support groups; provides programming and application/technical leadership, guidance, and assistance to other team members.
- Works directly on complex application/technical problem identification and resolution, including responding to off-shift and weekend support calls.
- Works independently on complex systems or infrastructure components that may be used by one or more applications or systems.
- Drives application development focused around delivering business valuable features
- Mentor and assist software engineers, providing technical assistance and direction as needed
- Maintains high standards of software quality within the team by establishing good practices and habits
- Identifies and encourage areas for growth and improvement within the team
- Guide the team to develop a structured application/interface code, new program documentation, operations documentation and user guides in a casual, flexible environment
- Communicate with end users and internal customers to help direct development, debugging, and testing of application software for accuracy, integrity, interoperability, and completeness
- Lead development of new functionality and applications on cross-functional Agile project teams
- Performs integrated testing and customer acceptance testing of components that requires careful planning and execution to ensure timely, quality results.
- Employee is also responsible for performing other job duties as assigned by Caterpillar management from time to time.
- BS or MS degree in quantitative discipline such as applied statistics, data science, computer science, information systems, engineering
- 10+ years of software development experience or 7+ years of experience with master’s degree
- Demonstrated experience leading software engineering projects
- 5+ years of experience in designing and implementing data processing and machine learning frameworks
- 5+ years of experience with Python, NoSQL and relational databases
Top candidates will also have:
- Proven experience in some of the following:
- Compiling and standardizing diverse, non-sanitized datasets.
- Working with structured and unstructured data.
- Developing classification and regression models.
- Unsupervised learning algorithms.
- Experience integrating analytical models with existing data pipelines.
- Solid knowledge of statistical approaches, quantitative analytic methods, data management techniques, and/or related digital technologies, and the ability to handle complex issues
- Proven experience with AWS full-stack development and services such as Athena, DynamoDB, EC2, EMR, RDS, S3, SageMaker
- Experience in some of the following:
- Designing, developing, deploying and maintaining software at scale.
- Developing software applications using relational and NoSQL databases.
- Deploying software using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, GoCD, Azure DevOps etc.
- Deploying and maintaining software using public clouds such as AWS or Azure.
- Working within an Agile framework (ideally Scrum)
- Ability to work under pressure and within time constraints
- Passion for technology and an eagerness to contribute to a team-oriented environment
- Demonstrated leadership on medium scale projects impacting strategic priorities