*This is a 2nd or 3rd shift hourly position with a starting wage of $18.39 (+ shift premium) per hour in Sanford, NC.*
*Applicants must have completed/graduated the Caterpillar Youth Apprenticeship Program to be considered for this position.
As a Welder 1 at Caterpillar Inc., you will under general supervision, directly support the fabrication of structures. This position utilizes tooling, fixtures, handling systems, safety, quality checks, inspection, ergonomics and other duties as assigned.
Job duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Uses various tools provided in the work area to perform welding duties including but not limited to:
- Operating robotic and manual MIG weld machines.
- Inspecting own work including quality checks utilizing weld and attribute gauges and other measuring tools.
- Performing in station repair on defective welds utilizing carbon air arc process, grinders, etc.
- Clearing common robotic welding system faults
- Mechanical job duties may include:
- Use of lifting devices to move heavy components of weights of more than 35 lbs to position heavy fabricated metal components in weld fixtures.
- General knowledge of manufacturing, methods, and processes
- Rotation to various positions within the Job Function area to perform related activities.
- Routine maintenance (wire change, tip/nozzle change)
- Must be able to work in a highly structured environment, strictly adhering to provided standard work instructions
- Follows documented procedures standard work, routings, and blueprints to perform safe and defect free operations to create and machine components.
- Follows and utilizes CPS principles of 5S, Continuous Improvement Idea Reporting, Waste Elimination, and Standard Work.
- Keeps work area in a clean and orderly condition.
- Responsible for process and final inspections.
- Must have completed/graduated the Caterpillar Youth Apprenticeship Program.
- Must have some welding operation experience.
Physical Requirements (with or without reasonable accommodation):
- Ability to sit or stand for prolonged periods;
- Ability to perform repetitive operations;
- Ability to lift up to 35 lbs.
Top candidates will also have:
- Blueprint reading experience
- Microsoft office applications experience (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Ability to function as part of a team and be multi-trained
- Ability to be a contributing team member
- Effective communications skills
Additional Information: This is a 2nd or 3rd shift hourly position with an entry pay of $18.39/hour plus 5% night shift premium. Successful candidates must be able to pass the following AWS D1.1 welder qualifications during Cat provided weld training: T-fillet break test in the 2F (horizontal fillet) position and Limited thickness groove test in the 1G (flat groove) position.
Please ensure you frequently check the e-mail account you provided on your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method in our recruiting process.