This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Chicago, IL, United States
Date Posted: May 28, 2020
JOB PURPOSE: Caterpillar uses quantitative methods such as business simulations, data mining, machine learning and advanced statistical techniques to solve problems. The Data Scientist II contributes to this mission by leveraging his or her quantitative analysis, data management, modeling and/or data visualization skills as an individual contributor to project teams tasked with solving business problems.
Caterpillar uses quantitative techniques to solve problems. Typical problems include maximizing profit through improvements in Inventory Costs, Material Costs, NPI costs, etc., determining the principal drivers of health care costs; recommending the optimal supplier for a part; identifying sales, rental, and service opportunities for Caterpillar dealers; and developing simulation/optimization capabilities to model a new facility or product feature. In addition, analytics experts provide assistance to high-profile enterprise-wide projects such as the Engineered Value Chain.
The principal responsibility of the Data Scientist II is to be an independent contributor to multi-person analytic teams. This position has a depth of knowledge in quantitative analytic methods, data management, and or associated digital technologies suitable to handle all but the most complex issues. Senior Data Analysts are expected to be familiar with the company’s processes, products, and organization, as well as its customers, competitors, and stakeholders. Work is typically directed by a direct supervisor, project or team lead through a review of results. Decisions on routine, medium risk issues that may affect the project team, suppliers or internal customers may be made by this position. Challenges include meeting expectations in delivering results, learning to refine solutions to better fit complex situations, making timely decisions, and communicating effectively with all project stakeholders. The Data Scientist II also mentors and develops the capabilities and organizational knowledge of more junior data scientists and associates.
The Data Scientist II demonstrates thorough knowledge of analytical approaches including statistics, machine learning and optimization, data management techniques, and/or related digital technologies, and the ability to handle complex issues. The incumbent demonstrates very good communication and presentation skills, being able to explain conclusions to customers who have limited knowledge and experience with quantitative analytical methods. As an individual contributor on teams, they should also exhibit strong initiative and teamwork skills, and a comprehensive knowledge of Caterpillar Inc., its products and services; its internal systems, processes, and procedures; and the external environment in which it competes.
· Bachelor’s degree, preferably in engineering, mathematics, economics or a similar field with quantitative coursework.
· 4-6 years of professional experience utilizing quantitative analysis and or systems troubleshooting is required
· Alternatively a Master’s degree and 2-3 years of experience, or a PhD in one of the associated fields.
· Experience writing programs/queries with data analysis tools such as Python, R, SAS, SQL or Alteryx
Top Candidates Will Also Have:
· 2-4 years experience with Caterpillar, working with a different unit or working with different products, processes or systems is desirable
· Experiences with different types of database tools such as DB2, Oracle and Snowflake
· Experience developing dashboards in visualization tools such as Tableau or Power BI
· Familiarity with AWS or other cloud technology
· Experience using data analytics techniques in e-commerce space
· Excellent analytical skills are essential
· Ability to work on increasingly more complex assignments and will have demonstrated strong leadership, initiative, interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate effectively
· Must have ability to communicate effectively with team members and others in the work group, as well as with customers
Caterpillar is proud of the role we
play in building the world's infrastructure. The work we do drives progress for
millions of people around the globe.
All qualified individuals – including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities – are encouraged to apply.
Caterpillar is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future require sponsorship for employment visa status; however, as a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.