This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Nashville, TN, United States
Date Posted: Apr 8, 2020
Support the U.S. federal & state tax issues relating to Caterpillar Financial Services Corporation (CFSC) and its Subsidiaries, including U.S. federal and state income and franchise taxes and US GAAP Accounting for Income Taxes compliance (ASC 740). Provide expert tax counsel within Tax and to other business units to support complex projects, and/or initiatives. Support development and implementation of tax planning initiatives, provide guidance to tax teams and prepare and review compliance activities. Manage certain processes and/or projects.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Guides the preparation and reviews of accurate and timely tax reporting and filings for CFSC and its subsidiaries’ U.S. international tax returns, including maintaining proper documentation to sustain tax calculations, collaborating with various functional areas within CFSC Tax, Cat Inc. Global Tax & Trade, Accounting, Treasury and business units.
2. Independently prepares, identifies and analyzes information needed to accomplish complex and/or technical analysis but generally uses data gathered by others to render a tax opinion or business recommendation.
3. Prepares responses to complex tax audit queries and supports the local business units with local tax audits. Works with local business unit and/or Global Tax & Trade to resolve tax disputes. Challenges excessive assessments to negotiate an equitable tax audit settlement and resolution.
4. Analyzes and interprets proposed changes to U.S. International Tax rules and regulations, requiring in-depth of experience, knowledge and judgment.
5. Conducts complex research and/or technical analysis on tax law and case-history to identify law changes. Evaluates consequences of law changes to CFSC and identifies methods to minimize tax risks. Monitors legislative changes for select countries, identifies impact on the enterprise and communicates to management.
6. Represents the International Tax Group as having in-depth knowledge of the tax issues that impact the business, financial statement and managerial aspects of CFSC.
7. Collaborates with internal/external parties to understand tax implications, support business unit or global tax initiatives and propose enterprise solutions to business units and Tax management.
8. Provides transactional support to the business units by providing deep expertise and understanding of the U.S. and local tax impact on proposed operations. Develops training programs to assist the business units in understanding the tax impacts on the enterprise.
9. Guides the preparation and review of accurate and timely analysis and reporting for US GAAP Accounting for Income Tax compliance (ASC 740), including FIN 48, deferred tax reconciliations and federal and state tax provision estimates.
10. Works directly with CFSC internal and external contacts, including Cat Inc. Global Tax and Trade, other CFSC Tax groups, Treasury, Accounting and business units to ensure that the appropriate information is used, gathered and understood.
11. Conveys data skillfully to management so they can provide advice to business and services units.
12. Identifies, defines and implements process improvement opportunities in technical tax areas including compliance to facilitate streamlining and automation for efficiency.
13. Leads, participates and supports team meetings, initiatives and 6 Sigma projects.
14. Supports tax leadership on annual financial statement reporting and controls.
15. Provides leadership on financial issues in areas such as tax and financial systems.
16. Communicates to a broader global audience.
17. Supports provision of business analysis for more complex business studies with multiple issues.
18. Supports managerial expertise to business partners and provides guidance on business risk management, governance process US and/or local GAAP and internal controls.
19. Participates in accomplishment of continuous improvement objectives for the department. Progress toward accomplishment of these is measured through maintenance of necessary measurements and analysis of associated data. Participates in the identification of problem areas and development of resolutions to address them.
20. Understands the Harassment policy of the company and is responsible for its application in all aspects of employment.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND KNOWLEDGE:
1. Extensive knowledge of tax law, often involving a variety of jurisdictions.
2. Proven competency in the U.S. international tax implications of subpart F, the foreign tax credit calculation, the earnings and profit calculation, U.S., OECD and local country transfer pricing guidelines and earnings repatriation.
3. In-depth knowledge or the company’s organization and accounting practices.
4. Thorough skill and ability in good business judgment.
5. Superior written and verbal communications skills.
6. Proven high-level of initiative.
7. Advanced knowledge of and demonstrated ability to apply math computation skills including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
8. Demonstrated ability to use software packages associated with accounting, i.e. tax systems, spreadsheets, graphics, and word processing.
9. Demonstrated ability to use tax and accounting systems to prepare or approve multiple monthly state tax returns, meeting all deadlines, keeping penalties and interest to a minimum; fully analyzing accounts; or the ability to use tax research skills to put together complex tax research proposals or complex tax letters, and to provide these to the businesses or Caterpillar Inc. with no assistance and guidance and minimal review.
10. Demonstrated ability to understand and apply tax research skills to complex state and local, and/or Federal and tax planning situations; providing solutions to complex tax questions.
11. Demonstrated ability to handle state income tax audits and/or prepare data and proposed research solutions to complex tax audit questions. Demonstrated ability to put together an audit plan; use audit preparation techniques; do advanced tax research; put together audit materials and data; understand tax audit issues; and help with final research to resolve issues.
12. Demonstrated ability to perform reviews of complex tax letters and analyses prepared by other staff members with no assistance.
13. Demonstrated ability to provide guidance to other staff members in how to complete projects.
14. Demonstrated ability to handle complex tax analysis and account analysis and effectively communicate the results to manager, staff or outside auditors.
15. Demonstrated ability to work independently and motivate staff level accountants to achieve goals and objectives.
16. Proven ability to meet tax deadlines and minimize tax penalties.
17. Advanced knowledge and ability to reconcile accounts and resolve any resulting issues.
18. Proven ability to provide accurate and timely information regarding various taxes to Caterpillar, Inc. or outside agencies.
19. Thorough knowledge of and the proven ability to interpret various tax laws and recommend adjustments when changes occur.
20. Thorough ability to manage multiple priorities and projects.
A 4-year college or university degree in Accounting and a minimum of 5 to 10 years of progressively responsible exempt job-related experience in federal, state or international tax fields is recommended. A Master’s Degree in Taxation and a CPA are preferred. Equivalent experience may be substituted for education.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals – including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities – are encouraged to apply.