Lead the IT organization responsible for Product Development Systems at Caterpillar. Caterpillar is the world’s leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. For over 90 years, our products and services have helped improve the lives of people around the world. Our customers use our products to build the basic infrastructure that enables higher standards of living so that people have access to water, electricity, roads, bridges, hospitals, schools and so much more.
This position leads the IT organization that delivers Product Development / PLM IT services to the entire Caterpillar organization. Role also provides leadership to the extended organization on Product Development / PLM processes to the extended organization and key connected processes and technology areas: manufacturing, supply chain, order fulfillment, and aftermarket.
JOB DUTIES: Key responsibilities are:
• Provide technical and strategic leadership on enterprise systems used throughout the product development community at Caterpillar.
• Develop long term strategy for product development systems, focusing on developing a Digital Thread approach, driving efficiencies end to end.
• Establish Product Development / Product Lifecycle Management roadmaps and execute to enterprise outcomes.
• Partner with enterprise technology leadership forums and other business unit product development communities, including peer IT leaders across the company.
• Develop strong relationships with product managers and technical managers to understand the business, their strategies, their problems, and how technology and PLM systems can accomplish their goals.
• Maintain focus on quality of service to keep engineers productive every day.
• Manage IT related risks to the business.
A successful manager builds and maintains excellent client relationships and is responsible for exceeding business partner expectations through implementation and delivery of IT technology products and solutions. Major responsibilities are categorized as follows:
• Engaging across multiple stakeholder groups, up to and including VP and Department Heads.
• Understanding of IT products and capabilities and can consult with business on their problems and help them be successful.
• Identifying new disruptive IT solutions and capabilities that enable business value.
• Understanding PLM industry direction from a technology perspective and what other companies are doing.
• Identifies opportunities for improving existing processes through information systems; leads preparation of proposals to develop new capability and/or operational changes.
Demand Management and Portfolio oversight
• Actively manages the business demand signal for prioritization and commitments.
• Monitors the portfolio health for in-flight initiatives, from program execution to post deployment quality.
• Define the IT services and services levels required by the business. Monitor the performance against these levels, developing and executing action plans.
• Requires a relevant degree bachelor’s degree and 10-15 years of progressively complex IS experience generally gained through staff and supervisory assignments in Information Services and related areas.
• 5+ Years IT Leadership responsibilities or background in one or more of the following areas: PLM Systems and process, IT Operations, Application Development, Digital Product Offerings, and / or IT Consulting.
• 5+ Years of client / customer focus and ability to lead development and implementation of multi-year IT roadmap and initiatives.
• Expertise in Product Development / PLM technology, including experience with multiple software and service providers within the industry.
• Experience managing strategic relationships with software and service providers, including co-source arrangements.
• Experience leading multi-year PLM transformations across an enterprise.
• Experience working across different IT or business functional departments (Product Development, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, Finance).
• Strong client / customer focus and ability to lead both from a technology and business process perspective.
Travel for the role will be 10 - 25%.
Caterpillar is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O; however, as a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.