Location: Peoria, IL, United States
Date Posted: Feb 10, 2020
This posting is for a Pricing Data Scientist on the Pricing Processes & Technology team within Global Machine Pricing (GMP) at Caterpillar Inc. GMP uses quantitative methods such as business simulations, data mining, and advanced statistical techniques to solve Pricing and Merchandising problems and provide valuable business insights for business partners. The Pricing Data Scientist role contributes to this mission by leveraging his or her quantitative analysis, data management, modeling and/or data visualization skills as an individual contributor to project teams tasked with solving business problems related to pricing and revenue strategies.
Typical problems include maximizing OPACC through improvements in pricing strategies and tactics; determining the principal drivers of transaction prices; and developing simulation/optimization capabilities to model pricing and merchandising scenarios.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
The principal responsibility of the Pricing Data Scientist is to be an independent contributor to multi-person analytic teams. This position has a depth of knowledge in quantitative analytic methods, data management, and associated digital technologies suitable to handle all but the most complex issues. Pricing Data Scientists are expected to be familiar with the company’s processes, products, and organization, as well as its customers, competitors, and stakeholders. Work is typically directed by a direct supervisor, project or team lead through a review of results. Decisions on routine, medium risk issues that may affect the project team or internal customers may be made by this position. Challenges include meeting expectations in delivering results, learning to refine solutions to better fit complex situations, making timely decisions, and communicating effectively with all project stakeholders.
* Thorough knowledge of statistical approaches, data management techniques, and/or related digital technologies, and the ability to handle complex issues.
* Participate on 3-4 projects concurrently.
* Very strong communication and presentation skills, being able to explain conclusions to customers who have limited knowledge and experience with quantitative analytical methods.
* Strong initiative and teamwork skills
* Comprehensive knowledge of Caterpillar Inc., its products and services; its internal systems, processes, and procedures; and the external environment in which it competes.
* Focus on continual learning in the Analytics field.
* Bachelor’s degree, preferably in statistics, economics, mathematics, or a similar field with quantitative coursework, and 4-5 years of professional experience utilizing quantitative analysis; or a Master’s degree with 2-3 years of experience; or a PhD in one of the associated fields.
* Must be proficient working in MS Office, and industry standard statistics and data visualization packages.
* Exhibit the ability to work on increasingly more complex assignments and will have demonstrated teamwork, initiative, interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate effectively.
* Strong understanding of pricing and merchandising strategies, concepts, methodologies, and data.
Caterpillar is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future require sponsorship for employment visa status; however, as a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers