This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Peoria, IL, United States
Date Posted: Feb 24, 2020
We are growing our core web development team at Caterpillar! This is an exciting opportunity to join a passionate team of web developers to build new capabilities that deliver revenue and improve the customer satisfaction of our customers.
We are looking for a full-time, in-house engineer to design and build new mobile applications and features while looking for innovative ways to differentiate our solution to better compete in the marketplace and drive incremental value for Caterpillar.
This is a great opportunity for you to expand your knowledge, grow your skills and join the digital transformation at Caterpillar!
Lead Software Engineer provides technical leadership in design, development and deployment of Caterpillar’s Service Options Collaborator application utilized by Caterpillar users, dealers and customers. This position will design and develop new features & functionalities while mentoring junior developers to ensure coding standards & quality are met.
JOB DUTIES: Responsibilities of the incumbents are across functional lines with individuals assigned in new program development and/or maintenance of existing UI & web services, WEB, Cloud, server, and/or distributed computing systems.
1. Competent to perform all programming, project management, and development assignments without close supervision; normally assigned the more complex aspects of systems work.
2. Acts as technical lead for developers; provides programming and application/technical leadership, guidance, and assistance to other team members.
3. Works directly on complex application/technical problem identification and resolution
4. Works independently on complex systems or infrastructure components that may be used by one or more applications or systems.
5. Drives application development focused around delivering business valuable features
6. Mentor and assist software engineers, providing technical assistance and direction as needed
7. Maintains high standards of software quality within the team by establishing good practices and habits
8. Identifies and encourage areas for growth and improvement within the team
9. Guide the team to develop a structured application/interface code, new program documentation, operations documentation and user guides in a casual, flexible environment
10. Communicate with end users and internal customers to help direct development, debugging, and testing of application software for accuracy, integrity, interoperability, and completeness
11. Lead development of new functionality and applications on cross-functional Agile project teams
12. Performs integrated testing and customer acceptance testing of components that requires careful planning and execution to ensure timely, quality results.
13. Employee is also responsible for performing other job duties as assigned by Caterpillar management from time to time.
The position manages the completion of its own work assignments and coordinates work with others. Based on past experiences and knowledge, the incumbent normally works independently with minimal management input and review of end results.
Typical customers include Caterpillar customers, dealers, as well as internal business unit and/or service center groups. The position is challenged to quickly and correctly identify problems that may not be obvious. The incumbent solves problems by determining the best course of action, within departmental guidelines, from many existing solutions. The incumbent sets priorities and establishes a work plan in order to complete broadly defined assignments and achieve desired results. The position participates in brainstorming sessions focused on developing new approaches to meeting quality goals & functionality in the measure(s) stated.
· Basic qualifications:
Top candidates will also have:
Proven experience in many of the following,
· Designing, developing, deploying and maintaining software at scale.
· Datastores such as Redis, Cosmos, MySQL, Oracle.
· Developing software applications using relational and Nosql databases.
· Application architectural patterns, such as MVC, Microservices, Event-driven, etc.
· Deploying software using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, Azure Devops etc.
· At least three plus years of deploying and maintaining software using public clouds such as AWS or Azure.
· Working within an Agile framework (ideally Scrum).
· Debugging and maintaining software.
· Experience designing well-defined Restful APIs
· Experience writing API proxies on platforms such as Apigee Edge, AWS API Gateway or Azure API Gateway
· Hands one experience with API tools such as Swagger, Postman and Assertible
· Test driven development and behavior driven development.
· Hands on experience with testing tools such as Selenium and Cucumber and their integration into CI/CD pipelines.
· Must demonstrate solid knowledge of computer science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms.
· Ability to work under pressure and within time constraints.
· Passion for technology and an eagerness to contribute to a team-oriented environment.
· Demonstrated leadership on medium to large-scale projects impacting strategic priorities.
Caterpillar is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future require sponsorship for employment visa status; however, as a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.