JOB PURPOSE: Manage delivery of the Platform features and capabilities, provide support to the multiple development/scrum teams, interface with technical staff and management, business resources. Provide leadership and mentor less experienced Digital Project Managers. Manage delivery of group of related projects that delivers a common program goal in line with Cat Digital Strategy.
The program manager is accountable for ensuring successful completion of projects, on-time, within budget, and error-free. The principal responsibility of the Program Manager is to manage the planning and execution of various project deliverables. The incumbent will be responsible for managing the project charter, communications, metrics, reporting, and the overall program plan (highlighting dependencies between various projects under the same program) and budget.
The Program Manager will:
- Use knowledge of cloud based Platforms and digital processes and business acumen to guide cross-functional teams in the execution of projects.
- Manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of Caterpillar Inc.; its products and services; its internal systems, processes, and procedures; and its relevant external influences (competitors, laws and regulations, market conditions, etc.) to meet or exceed customer expectations.
- Serve as the principal communicator with clients and internal stakeholders regarding project status.
- Identify and manage risks and issues
- Define program scope with program success indicators to reap benefits of the program within a defined timeframe.
- Use Agile or Waterfall program management methodology as relevant to the program execution. Follow latest industry execution practices and processes (e.g, DevOps, Continuous Integration – Continuous Delivery) for highest velocity and innovation.
- Prioritize program requirements working with Product Owner or other stakeholders.
- Write communication plan and stakeholder management plan for the program. Develop stakeholder register, analyze positive and negative stakeholders, and manage the expectation of stakeholders across the program.
- Provide regularly update to Business stakeholders and consumers of program deliverables.
- Create and manage dependencies across all active projects. Collaborate across the program to leverage diverse thoughts and ideas.
- Log and review program risks with stakeholders and take timely action to mitigate or eliminate risks.
- Evaluate team members of the program organization and look to add required resources or train resources to improve IT skills for the benefit of the digital program.
- Mentor project managers for success delivery of the program.
- Create rough order of magnitude of program budget, track actuals, and do quarterly forecast of spend throughout the life of the program.
- Radiate program status using a visual tool. Document all program related artifacts including lessons learned, on an easily accessible and shared environment.
- Be an advocate of the digital program and market it for a successful adoption.
Significant challenges of this position are working with people, enhancing the team’s creativity, facilitating the team’s cooperation, clearly communicating the requirements and tasks while gaining input from the team on refinement of same, translating both verbal and non-verbal information from the customer to management and team members. The Program Manager acts as a spokesperson for the team in meetings, with multiple levels of management, and with the customer. As Program Manager, he or she must develop strong internal networks to enable them to obtain resources and cooperation needed, and remove roadblocks so they can ensure the success of their project team.
The Program Manager demonstrates advanced knowledge of marketing and digital approaches/techniques and the ability to handle typical project issues. The incumbent should be able to explain conclusions to customers who have limited knowledge and experience. They are expected to have advanced expertise leading teams in project management. The incumbent should be very strong in areas of personal planning, organization, initiatives, management. The senior level is expected to mentor lower level Digital Project Managers.
- A strong project management background with 5+ years of job-related experience
- The position typically requires a college or university degree or certification that is equivalent.
- Advanced human relations skills are needed for a cooperative working relationship with others inside and outside the department.
- Experience with agile process management is required.
Top Candidates will have:
- In-depth knowledge with Caterpillar functional areas, policies, and procedures.