Location: Peoria, IL, United States
Date Posted: Jan 14, 2020
Caterpillar is investing in our digital future, and we’re looking for a Data Design Manager to develop and lead our best digital strategists and engineers. Cat Digital is leading Caterpillar and our industry with the utilization of data analytics, innovation, digital channels and techniques to drive profit, unlock new revenue streams and provide more durable competitive advantages for the business. As the Data Design Manager, you will lead a team of experienced data modelers and data designers that are defining and designing data to support Caterpillar’s highest value Digital initiatives.
This position has full accountability for the design and modeling of data within Caterpillar’s Digital Platform; leading a team who creates and maintains the overall semantic model of Digital data within the Digital Platform, as well as the specific designs for reusable data capabilities (data objects). Collectively, the Digital Data Design team will develop a completed package of design specifications and models that transition to Data Engineering, allowing them to effectively build data pipelines, data objects and consumable data sets.
This position and team frequently interface with Digital Product Owners (App, Data, Platform), Platform and Data Engineering, and Architecture to ensure the delivery of data capabilities appropriately enable Digital Use Cases, while also being generally reusable and meeting non-functional requirements for scale and availability.
This position manages a team of management and professional employees where some review of subordinate work is required, as well as training, development and mentoring. This position is responsible for all personnel issues and performance evaluation of subordinates, as well as overall employee satisfaction.
Top Candidates will have:
· Strong understanding and/or experience in many of the following
o Database technologies on Cloud – Relational, Key-value, In-memory, Blockchain
o ETL and data pipeline design
o Conceptual, logical, and physical data modeling experience
o Architectures for complex data structures
o Understanding of object-oriented design
o Understanding of software development lifecycle
o Metadata management including data lineage and data dictionary
o Data quality measurement and improvement methods
o Information security and data privacy
o Master data management
o Programming experience, especially Python
· Strong business acumen and/or business analyst experience to translate business goals into technical requirements especially related to customer and equipment data
· Experience working within an Agile Framework (ideally Scrum)
· Ability to work under pressure and within time constraints
· Passion for technology and an eagerness to contribute to a team-orientated environment
· Knowledge of Caterpillar policies and procedures, and a general understanding of Caterpillar’s organization
· Demonstrated leadership on medium to large-sclae projects impacting strategic priorities