This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Chicago, IL, United States
Date Posted: Jan 17, 2020
Lead Software Engineer provides technical leadership in design, development and deployment of Caterpillar’s state-of-the-art digital platform. This position will build a world class platform to host a wide range of digital applications.
JOB DUTIES: Responsibilities of the incumbents are across functional lines with individuals assigned in new program development and/or maintenance of existing mobile, WEB, Cloud, server, personal computer, mainframe, and/or distributed computing systems.
1. Competent to perform all programming, project management, and development assignments without close supervision; normally assigned the more complex aspects of systems work.
2. Acts as team leader for development and support groups; provides programming and application/technical leadership, guidance, and assistance to other team members.
3. Works directly on complex application/technical problem identification and resolution, including responding to off-shift and weekend support calls.
4. Works independently on complex systems or infrastructure components that may be used by one or more applications or systems.
5. Drives application development focused around delivering business valuable features
6. Mentor and assist software engineers, providing technical assistance and direction as needed
7. Maintains high standards of software quality within the team by establishing good practices and habits
8. Identifies and encourage areas for growth and improvement within the team
9. Guide the team to develop a structured application/interface code, new program documentation, operations documentation and user guides in a casual, flexible environment
10. Communicate with end users and internal customers to help direct development, debugging, and testing of application software for accuracy, integrity, interoperability, and completeness
11. Lead development of new functionality and applications on cross-functional Agile project teams
12. Performs integrated testing and customer acceptance testing of components that requires careful planning and execution to ensure timely, quality results.
13. Employee is also responsible for performing other job duties as assigned by Caterpillar management from time to time.
· Position requires a four-year degree from an accredited college or university.
· Eight years or more of software development experience or at least five years of experience with master’s degree in computer science or related field.
· Eight years or more of experience in designing and developing software applications in Java or Scala or at least five years of experience in Java or Scala with master’s degree in computer science or related field.
Top candidates will also have:
· Proven experience in many of the following,
o Designing, developing, deploying and maintaining software at scale.
o Batch or stream processing systems such as Apache Spark, Flink, Akka, Storm
o Message brokers such as Kafka, RabbitMq, AWS SQS, AWS SNS, Apache ActiveMQ, Kinesis.
o Datastores such as MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis, Elasticsearch, MySQL, Oracle.
o Developing software applications using relational and Nosql databases.
o Application architectural patterns, such as MVC, Microservices, Event-driven, etc.
o Deploying software using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, GoCD, Azure Devops etc.
o At least three plus years of deploying and maintaining software using public clouds such as AWS or Azure.
o Working within an Agile framework (ideally Scrum).
o Debugging and maintaining software in Linux or Unix platforms.
o Experience designing well-defined Restful APIs
o Experience writing API proxies on platforms such as Apigee Edge, AWS API Gateway or Azure API Gateway
o Hands one experience with API tools such as Swagger, Postman and Assertible
o Test driven development and behavior driven development.
o Hands on experience with testing tools such as Selenium and Cucumber and their integration into CI/CD pipelines.
· Must demonstrate solid knowledge of computer science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms.
· Ability to work under pressure and within time constraints.
· Passion for technology and an eagerness to contribute to a team-oriented environment.
· Demonstrated leadership on medium to large-scale projects impacting strategic priorities.
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer science or Electrical engineering or related field is required.