As Research Senior Engineer you will serve as an experience, individual contributor on projects and assignments that are complex in nature and that support and enhance Caterpillar product performance, durability, reliability, quality, and serviceability.
This role primarily serves as a structural analyst of fabricated structure systems, linkages, and components using finite element analysis and other advanced analytical tools. The role develops and evaluates analysis processes that assess structural durability, strength, and rigidity for both static and dynamic environments.
Major Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Develop and document continuously improving analysis processes and standards.
- Contribute to research projects related to advanced analysis processes for product development.
- Collaborate on multi-disciplinary technical assistance teams to provide superior design solutions.
- Collaborate with the Caterpillar analysis community to develop and standardize analysis processes.
- Mentor less experienced analysts in the Advanced Structures section.
- Keep up to date on new technologies in the areas of linear and nonlinear static structural analysis, dynamic structural analysis methods, and linkage analysis.
- Communicate analysis process improvements to the Caterpillar design and analysis community.
- Bachelor of science degree in mechanical, civil, or engineering mechanics from an accredited engineering program
- 5 + years experience in the application of Finite Element Analysis (FEA) on structures and components.
- High level of proficiency with finite element analysis tools, e.g. Abaqus or NASTRAN or equivalent
Top candidates will also have:
- Masters degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or Materials Science plus 6 to 8 years experience or a Doctorate degree plus 1 to 2 years experience
- Interest in structures, and a good solid understanding of heat transfer or weld processing.
- Thorough understanding of fatigue analysis methods.
- Experience working with a different unit or working with different products, processes, or systems
- Experience with welding simulation, fracture mechanics, optimization, and reliability analysis tools is a plus.
- Proficiency with Creo design tools is a plus.
- Proficiency with Creo/Simulate is a plus.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to perform complex assignments
- Self-starter with strong technical leadership skills
- Ability to communicate technical information effectively with team members and others in work group, as well as employees in other units, customers, and suppliers
Caterpillar is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO)
Caterpillar is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future require sponsorship for employment visa status; however, as a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.