Chief Engineer, Connectivity
This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Peoria, IL, United States
Date Posted: Jan 6, 2020
For Caterpillar, digital means using technology to extract data from our machines and engines and transform it into valuable recommendations and insights to help customers make better, more informed decisions and help Caterpillar make robust products with the lowest total ownership cost. Our products generate and process large amounts of data from sensors, on-board models, and control algorithms in real-time creating real-world machine usage information to provide condition monitoring and fleet management services. The Enterprise Connectivity team of Cat Digital is hiring a Chief Engineer to provide strategic leadership by establishing a future connectivity product line strategy and adoption roadmap, ensuring enterprise alignment, funding and execution of critical connectivity New Product Introduction programs delivering on that strategy.
- Provide technical stewardship by maintaining awareness and insight to industry related technologies, future trends, regulatory issues, and disruptive changes
- Play a key role in helping define firmware and architecture strategies
- Implementation of wireless protocols, including standards, compression, wireless registration, SIM management, reliable communication, etc.
- Responsible for optimizing the entire system from telematics device through the gateway and up to applications
- Develop product line and technical specifications and work with standards bodies as necessary
- Manages new technology, sourcing technical people, replacing expertise and growing technical experts
- May develop 3rd party strategic partnerships to deliver Cat Digital long-term strategy
- The Connectivity Chief Engineer is also accountable for the knowledge management and protection of Caterpillar’s intellectual property. This position is accountable for properly classifying and restricting access to Caterpillar technical information related to their products
- Requires a 4-year technical degree
- At least 10 years of progressive technical career experienced within the fields of Engineering, Technology, or IoT / Digital
- At least 5 years of telematics industry experience particularly with wireless technologies (Global Positioning System, 3G, 4G, 5G, WiFi, BLE, Zigbee, NFC), including telematics certification experience
- Knowledge and awareness of IoT Standards, regulations, regional requirements
- Familiarity and experience in wireless modems and chipsets
- Strong telematics hardware background
- Strong networking background, specifically related to cloud architecture, IP specifics (IPV4, IPV6, etc.), proxy services, DNS application and management, etc.
- Understands the business and its impact on technology and the customers’ business and needs, dealing with a global market place
Top Candidates will have:
- Advanced technical degree desired
- Demonstrated track record of innovation and finding creative ways to solve technical problems.
- Data Processing and Analytics with familiarity of analytic algorithms, including knowledge of protocol recovery, redundancy, gap filling, etc.
- Strong communication, ability to influence and build relationships
Location: Ideally this position will be located in Peoria, IL but we are open to a person sitting in our Cat Digital office located downtown Chicago with the understanding that an average of up to 50% of the time will require travel to Peoria at Caterpillar's expense.
Caterpillar is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future require sponsorship for employment visa status; however, as a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.