WE BUILD WHAT MATTERS
What matters most to you? Is it being part of a strong team? Supporting your family? Solving global problems? You can do these and more at Caterpillar; where your work enables progress around the globe, and you contribute to meaningful work. Together, we can build what matters!
The Electric Power Division currently has a Senior Software Engineer located in Alpharetta, Georgia. As a Senior Software Engineer at Caterpillar, you will execute and support the design, test, manufacture, and commissioning of low and medium voltage switchgear that controls multiple generators which parallel to one or more utility sources.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
* Knowledge of stress testing PLC network architectures and accurately extrapolate results
* Develop tools and integrate tools into PLC/HMI programs to expedite tests using automation
* Interact with internal and external customers, accomplishing project milestones.
* Provide direction to CAD designers to create wiring and assembly drawings for generator paralleling switchgear controls.
* Create bill of materials for generator paralleling switchgear controls in ERP system.
* Create PLC programs for control of generator paralleling switchgear.
* Execute multiple projects simultaneously.
* Position requires travel, typically 20 to 30% to support startup and commissioning activities.
* Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering Technology or Bachelor of Science in Computer Science plus 2+ years of experience or minimum of 4 years work experience in a related field without a degree
* Understanding of one of the IEC 61131 PLC Programming languages i.e. Ladder Logic, Function Block Diagram, Structured Text or any other PLC programming language.
* Experience with embedded software development tools such as debuggers, linkers, and compilers
* Proven ability to troubleshoot infrastructure and/or application connectivity issues across a complex network
* Knowledge of Ethernet networks and related protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, DHCP, DNS)
Top Candidates will also have:
* Design, test, and commission of generator control systems
* Test plan development, software validation planning and testing
* Identification and resolution of software defects using software development tools to identify and resolve software defects
* Develop control software utilizing various PLC platforms using template PLC software. Knowledge on at least one of the following PLC platforms. Schneider Momentum, M340, M580, AB Control, and, Compact Logix Architecture.
* Understand any one of the following standards i.e. NEC, UL 508, UL 891, UL 1558, UL MV, CSA 22-2, and ANSI requirements and their applications in switchgear controls.
* Understand protective relays, their functions associated with Generator, and Utility protection applications.
* Knowledge of using Port mirroring and Network analyzer for packet capture, packet analysis and troubleshoot problems, isolate/segment traffic between group devices using VLAN.
* Interpret customer specifications and drawings, and apply them to design platform while considering industry regulations and requirements.
* Knowledge of common industrial ethernet protocols such as ModbusTCP, Ethernet/IP, Profinet, SERCOS III.
* Knowledge of Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), Address Resolution Protocol (ARP), Precision Time Protocol (PTP), and Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP).
* Experience developing automation solutions using PowerShell or Bash
* Must demonstrate solid knowledge of computer science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms.
* Basic knowledge of RHEL/Windows server environments
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Excellent business and commercial skills.
* Strong interpersonal skills.
* Attention to details.
Relocation assistance is
not available for this position. Any relocation costs incurred would be
the responsibility of the selected applicant.
Caterpillar is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future require sponsorship for employment visa status; however, as a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers (http://www.caterpillar.com/careers).
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals – including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities – are encouraged to apply.