Job Title: Supplier Quality Manager
Salary: £60,440 - £65,549 (Depending on Experience)
Location: Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Benefits: 25 days annual leave,
Up to 20% bonus
Car Allowance - £595
Contributory pension scheme - Caterpillar will double the employee's contribution Up to 10%
Contributory share scheme - Caterpillar will match 50% of the employee's contribution
CAT Advantage High Street Discount Website
Sponsorship: Not Provided
Flexible working arrangements will be considered for this role, in-line with the needs of the business.
Who is Caterpillar? What do we do?
Caterpillar is a world leader in construction and mining equipment—creating innovative, cutting-edge products
and services that help our customers build the world around us. With that level of impact comes the platform
to care for the world, we work in. That’s why we lead sustainable green initiatives to preserve the environment,
help reduce poverty with the Caterpillar Foundation and stay involved in the communities we help build.
What will Caterpillar do for you?
From day one, you’re set up to thrive at Caterpillar: helpful training, relatable mentors, global experience, competitive salary package, work-life balance and the growth opportunities you expect with a Fortune 100 company.
You power our success and we are committed to empowering yours. After all, when your work can impact the entire world, it’s important to do work that matters.
We are seeking a self-motivated / passionate Supplier Quality Manager to lead a Supplier Development Engineering team based in Peterborough. You will provide on-site assistance & leadership to Caterpillar’s supply base in the execution of Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), the implementation of process control and the deployment of a continuous quality improvement processes.
Job Responsibilities and Duties:
Leading a team of Supplier Development Engineers who work with suppliers to ensure that robust process controls are in place to prevent nonconformities, to continuously monitor supplier’s key manufacturing processes and quality management system for improvement opportunities and to assist suppliers with Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) activities to ensure production readiness for New Product Introduction (NPI) and drive a ZERO defect culture.
The Supplier Quality Manager is responsible for ensuring we have a capable team of Supplier Development Engineers, who collaborate effectively with our supply base to ensure their processes are clearly defined and deliver world class levels of quality performance, from design concept to the end of product life (cradle to grave), the role includes the following activities:
• Ensuring the adequacy of the supplier’s quality management system and the capability of people, training, tooling, fixturing and equipment.
• Providing supplier technical support during production ramp up to ensure defect free launch.
• Ensuring that APQP activities related to process control are being performed and led by the supplier.
• Monitoring of supplier adherence to Process Change Notification (PCN) (for changes driven by Supplier and Caterpillar) on a timely and cost-effective basis.
• Helping suppliers extract value from the APQP process ensuring best practices and governance.
• Managing supplier’s project plans and activities to ensure product meets Caterpillar expectations, ensuring all relevant requirements and related changes are thoroughly documented.
• Reviewing APQP documentation e.g., Process FMEA (failure mode & effects analysis), Process Control Plans, Gage R&R (repeatability & reproducibility).
• Responsible for producing reports and presenting the Supplier Quality status at internal functional reviews within the engine business.
• Ensuring mitigation plans and resource is in place to ensure security of supply into our engine facilities.
• Ensuring supplier led process FMEA for the suppliers manufacturing processes are conducted ensuring that potential failure modes are detected and prevented.
• Auditing overall supplier capability and process control implementation and effectiveness to validate process capability.
• Ensuring PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) completion and approval prior to delivery of new parts.
• Responsible for ensuring high standards of supplier 8D permanent corrective action plans and determining whether cost of poor-quality charges should be levied.
• Working with Category Managers ensuring quality management system audits and Supplier Evaluation Surveys (SES), including assessments of potential new suppliers are completed thoroughly.
• Where supplier quality performance is unacceptable, working with supplier Senior Management to coordinate the supplier response and improvement plans.
• Develop target supplier’s capabilities to attain SQEP (Supplier Quality Excellence Process) certification.
• Deploys Lean Processes to ensure Built in Quality in the Supplier Network
• Participating in the development of Supplier quality metrics and in Supplier Performance Management Reviews (SPM).
Skills and Experience:
Candidates will have gained the following skills and experience through previous roles:
• An Engineering/Manufacturing/Technical undergraduate degree from a college or university, or equivalent experience.
• Established leadership experience; commitment to inspire, coach and develop others.
• Vision to continually improve and execute change management.
• Expert communicator, proficient in building collaborative partnerships to work across a complex internal and external organizations
• Proven ability to maintain poise and self-control in tough emotive situations.
• Sound knowledge and demonstrated experience of APQP, including the PPAP process, FMEA’s, control plans, process flow, GR&R, and capability studies.
• Good professional network established, cross functional (internal) and demonstrate career experience interfacing / collaborating effectively with suppliers (external)
Candidates may have gained the following skills and experience through previous roles:
• Experience of applying 8D process or other structured problem-solving techniques in a manufacturing environment.
• Experience executing quality processes with complex, engineering related suppliers.
• Key relations management in a technical / complex / matrix organization structure.
• International travel / work related experience would be preferred.
• Cost Centre Budget Management and understanding of annual Business Planning.