Job Title: Production Manager / Operations Manager
Salary: £45,855 – £52,318 (Depending on Experience)
Location: Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Benefits: 25 days annual leave,
Contributory pension scheme - Caterpillar will double the employee's contribution up to 10%
Contributory share scheme - Caterpillar will match 50% of the employee's contribution
CAT Advantage High Discount Scheme
Onsite Parking Facilities
Sponsorship or Working VISA will not be supported.
Flexible working arrangements will be considered for this role, in-line with the needs of the business.
Who is Caterpillar? What do we do?
Caterpillar is a world leader in construction and mining equipment—creating innovative, cutting-edge products
and services that help our customers build the world around us. With that level of impact comes the platform
to care for the world, we work in. That’s why we lead sustainable green initiatives to preserve the environment,
help reduce poverty with the Caterpillar Foundation and stay involved in the communities we help build.
What will Caterpillar do for you?
From day one, you’re set up to thrive at Caterpillar: helpful training, relatable mentors, global experience, competitive salary package, work-life balance and the growth opportunities you expect with a Fortune 100 company.
You power our success and we are committed to empowering yours. After all, when your work can impact the entire world, it’s important to do work that matters.
Two positions are available within our Manufacturing Operations team at the Peterborough Engine facility, this is an excellent opportunity to join a highly flexible, motivated, skilled and enthusiastic team.
As a Production Manager, you will have day to day accountability for your assigned manufacturing or product value streams with overall responsibility for People, Quality, Velocity and Cost KPI’s, including the Caterpillar Production System (CPS) & Value Stream Certification and assessment.
Reporting directly to this role are Section Managers; each with up to 35 team members and potentially up to 280 team members. The successful candidate will be a dedicated, self-motivated leader who will work in a highly responsive production environment. They will be responsible for the development and engagement of a diverse team that will drive process enhancement and continuous improvement within multiple values streams.
Job Responsibilities and Duties:
• Accountable for embedding CPS guiding principles within the area of responsibility
• Lead and motivate a production team with a dedicated and positive attitude
• Accountable for specific goals on safety, employee engagement, product quality, manufacturing velocity, operational efficiency and cost management
• Manage production resources to meet on-time deliveries, ensuring effective direction and supervision of all operational activities in an assigned area, maximising OEE and utilisation of all resources
• Initiate and conduct process improvement dialogues (PID’s) with Section Managers, Team Leads and Team Members
• Develop and execute annual Business / Cost Centre Plans
• Lead cross functional teams to ensure all customer needs are met daily, both current and new products.
• Develop an effective network (internal & external to Operations) to ensure a thorough understanding of business objectives and customer requirements
• Team member performance management & development
Skills and Experience:
Candidates will have gained the following skills and experience through previous roles:
• Significant and relevant experience within a supervisory role; demonstrating the ability to lead, develop and motivate. (Leadership preferably in an Operations Management function and / or in Manufacturing Engineering, Maintenance, Quality disciplines etc)
• Proven experience in managing performance with a demonstrated history of delivering results
• Requires a thorough knowledge of lean manufacturing
• Evidence of problem-solving skills and experience of managing in a pressurised environment
• Excellent interpersonal skills are required to develop a collaborative working relationship with direct team, peer group and other functions
• Educated to degree level desirable in an Engineering or Business Management related discipline or equivalent experience within a manufacturing / operations / fast paced environment.
Candidates may have gained the following skills and experience through previous roles:
• 6 Sigma project leadership
• Coaching, mentoring and leadership development.
NB. The panel cannot make assumptions when shortlisting therefore please demonstrate your qualifications and experience on your CV relevant to the criteria outlined.
Pending the number of applications, the criteria for the position may be enhanced to facilitate shortlisting.