WE BUILD WHAT MATTERS
What matters most to you? Is it being a part of a strong team? Solving global problems? You can do these and more at Caterpillar; where your work enables progress around the globe and you contribute to meaningful work. Together, we can build what matters.
The Energy & Transportation Purchasing Division currently has openings for a Category Manager for Electrification located in Mossville, IL, specializing in advanced energy storage i.e. lithium-based batteries. In this role, you will be collaborating closely with the Electrification Product Manager and his team to develop advanced power system and component strategies, new technology introduction (NTI) and align supplier relationships to deliver OPACC (Operating Profit After Capital Charge) results. You will manage strategic breakthrough categories to deliver year over year Quality, Cost, Logistics, Development, Management (QCLDM) performance improvement and therefore create value through an improved global supply network. Serve as the industry expert for a particular category. Deliver Global Leverage and supply network market knowledge to product supply organizations for incorporation into future designs & supply design collaboration events.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
Major Role: - Reporting directly to the Global Procurement Manager this role is accountable for the development, communication and implementation of a worldwide sourcing strategy for a specific category. Manage supplier performance, relationships, and agreements/contracts for their category; while collaborating with Facility and Product Supply Managers to create a competitive advantage for our customers and the enterprise by developing, optimizing, and integrating a world-class supply network. The position will require zest for learning, creative problem solving, strong negotiation skills, comprehensive understanding of supplier capacity planning, catalogue management as well as business acumen.
People: - This person will manage a high performing team of supplier development engineers and procurement professionals who will identify, develop and manage a high performing global supply network for one or more categories.
Leadership- Develop, mentor, and train personnel capable of delivering the Global supplier strategy for the assigned category. Adhere to the approved Performance Management Plan. Identify performance gaps within the supply base and develop improvement plans for the identified gaps. Maintain the highest ethical and professional standards within this diverse global organization and recognize employee excellence. Maintain the highest ethical and professional standards within this diverse global organization and recognize employee excellence.
Strategy- Through a strong knowledge of the category the incumbent will set and sustain strategy following the category strategy/business plan process. Lead teams to fully understand the requirements and performance of the supply base. Using a 6 Sigma Strategic Sourcing approach, the team will evaluate strategic options; decide a course of action and implement.
Customers - The role will encompass managing suppliers delivering into many Caterpillar facilities. The role will require a strong communicator capable of keeping the customer fully informed of progress and working closely with the customer to ensure all requirements are met.
Supplier Development - Collaborate with the Supply Network on risk mitigation. This will require relationship building and management at senior levels with the suppliers that encourage trust, professionalism and continuous improvement. Predictive cost modeling both geographic and component based will be used extensively and will require a strong knowledge of Macroeconomics and well as component costing.
Products: Advanced Energy Storage Batteries, Solar (Photovoltaic), Fuel Cells, Associated Control and Supporting Systems
- Bachelor's Degree
- 5+ years’ experience required in a procurement or engineering/new technology role
- 5+ years’ experience in a supervisory role
Top Candidates Will Also Have:
- Well-developed interpersonal skills are required in dealing with sensitive issues, developing others, and reaching consensus on specific actions
- Demonstrated functional leadership including at least 5 years managing suppliers and/or creating strategic global sourcing plans
- Professional certification in Purchasing and/or Inventory Management a plus
- Strong cost management skills
- Demonstrated success with contract management/development
- Experience with should cost modeling techniques & E-auctions
- Experience leading organizations or influencing key stakeholders without direct authority. Capability to develop networks involving cross functional/cross division groups and to senior management
- Understanding of the common category needs of multiple business units and ability to leverage company’s strengths to obtain best values for the businesses.
- Complex strategic relationship management experience required
- Previous 6 Sigma Green Belt, Black Belt or Sponsor experience preferred
- Knowledge of Quality and Cost Modeling tools
- Lean manufacturing, an understanding of lean principles
- Well-developed communication and negotiation skills
- Global Experience / Leadership
- This position will close Friday, October 25, 2019 at 11:59 PM CST
- Relocation is available for this position
- Travel is higher in first year (50%), steady state will be 25%
Caterpillar is not
currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future require
sponsorship for employment visa status; however, as a global company,
Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be
found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.