This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Johannesburg, State Not Specified, South Africa
Date Posted: Apr 21, 2020
SENIOR FINANCIAL ACCOUNTANT – SOUTH AFRICA
CAT Financial have an exciting opening for an experienced senior qualified accountant to join the team in Johannesburg. This is a great opportunity for you to bring your financial accounting experience to a role where you will have the ability to take ownership of local accounting for your division.
JOB SUMMARY: Under limited supervision, you’ll conduct a wide variety of intricate and complex accounting duties and projects. Assignments and work are generally broad in nature requiring a broad knowledge of accounting practices and procedures, originality and ingenuity. You’ll make recommendations for changes in policies and procedures to correct accounting related problems and processes and provide training, guidance and check the work of less experienced accounting staff. May research and provide guidance on proper classification of transactions.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Perform a wide variety of intricate and complex accounting duties. Duties and responsibilities will be focused primarily toward activities requiring the use of in-depth accounting knowledge, practices and principles as well as ingenuity and originality
2. Analyzes financial reports and records, and may make studies or recommendations relative to the accounting of reserves, assets and expenditures.
3. Assists Finance Manager in carrying out the integration of the subsidiary into the US GAAP closing process for head office
4. Prepares internal management reports with appropriate analysis and comments, such as the significant figures report and income statement variances reports.
5. Prepares balance sheet reconciliations for complex ledger accounts and reviews reconciliations of lower complexity accounts prepare by other team members
6. Preparation of annual local statutory accounts to IFRS accounting standard
7. Coordinates activities for audit reviews performed by the internal and external auditors
8. Prepares and submits relevant tax schedules as required for US Tax / Local country tax / VAT
9. Manage and control the integrity of the General Ledger to sub systems sub-ledgers for the company loan portfolio
10. Review and approval of various documents which include: Journals / Bank Payments / Invoices / Cash Management
11. Analyzing inconsistencies or problems which occur and ensure they are brought to the attention of management, where required
12 May make recommendations for changes in policies and procedures to correct accounting related problems and processes
13 Applies a broad knowledge of advanced accounting methods and procedures
14. May coordinate and review accounting work of colleagues as required to ensure accuracy
15 Understands the established continuous improvement objectives for the department. Measures progress toward the continuous improvement standards and ensure that the necessary measurements are maintained. Participates in the resolution of any identified problems. Analyzes data and makes all business decisions based on such analysis
SKILLS, ABILITIES AND KNOWLEDGE:
1. You’ll need to be able to work independently, using your own initiative and manage your time and workload.
2. We need a multi-tasker, you will work on multiple projects simultaneously.
3. Demonstrated ingenuity and innovation.
4. Demonstrated knowledge of ability to apply math computation skills including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, as well as, statistics and other mathematical concepts used in modeling.
5. Thorough knowledge of accounting distribution and ability to verify correctness and completeness of such information.
6. Thorough knowledge of U.S. GAAP and FASB regulations and procedures as they related to the particular area of accounting.
7. Ability to use the software packages utilized by Accounting.
8. Experience creating, using and maintaining advanced Excel spreadsheets and Word documents.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: A 4-year university degree or equivalent diploma, preferably in Accounting, and bringing experience within Audit Practice and/or similar industry
Candidates with professional accounting qualifications – CPA, CIMA, ACCA or similar