The Software (DevOps Automation) Engineering Manager provides leadership in design, development and deployment of Caterpillar’s state-of-the-art digital platform. This position is accountable for hiring, managing and mentoring a team of DevOps/Automation engineers in delivering the common department goals in line with CAT Digital Strategy. They will oversee multiple teams of engineers focused on front and back end tooling, orchestration and instrumental tools, CI / CD tools, among others. They will be responsible for applying their technical skills and experiences to improve our design and development methods and mentor engineering teams.
- Responsibilities include supervising teams and projects related to developing business and technical solutions and implementing common operating procedures to provide process functionality and the requisite infrastructure to enable effective, efficient, economical services.
- Directs implementation of hardware and software infrastructure components to maximize common process and minimize costs by efficiently controlling the infrastructure environment.
- The position supports the CAT Digital strategy, recognizes the service requirements/needs of dealers and customers, corporate and business unit goals, and gives input to leadership in formulating global concepts, strategies and plans to deliver service solutions.
- Foster and support a culture of innovation and excellence within the DevOps organization.
- Continually improve Devops tools, processes and procedures.
- Be hands-on with the work and form strong insights into the technical challenges the team faces
- Set context, streamline processes, communicate strategically, and empower your team and the teams they collaborate to self-direct, learn and deliver.
- Collaborate with product delivery, infrastructure and program management regarding DevOps tools, scope, and schedule.
- Typical internal customers include various contacts throughout Caterpillar worldwide and its subsidiaries.
- External contacts include various customers, dealers, and vendors throughout worldwide markets. The position is challenged to carefully evaluate problems and provide input into a large number of possible solutions before selecting one option. Problems may be complex and can require the incumbent to develop and monetize new solutions. The incumbent follows general policies and guidelines for projects under his/her control to ensure specific, management goals are met and desired results are achieved. Impacts key quality goals including Customer Satisfaction, Continuous Improvement, and Reoccurring
- The position is responsible for all personnel issues and performance evaluation of subordinates, as well as overall employee satisfaction for the division.
- Employee is also responsible for performing other job duties as assigned by Caterpillar management from time to time.
- Position requires a four-year degree from an accredited college or university.
- Ten years or more of software development experience or at least eight years of experience with master’s degree in computer science or related field.
- Three years or more of experience in managing software development teams or working with DevOps Automation.
- Three years or more of experience in public cloud technologies such as AWS or Azure.
- 2+ years’ experience managing and mentoring development focused engineering teams in the DevOps, tooling or platform space.
- 5+ years’ experience in the DevOps, Build and Release, Cloud or related space
Top candidates will also have:
- Demonstrated leadership on medium to large-scale projects impacting strategic priorities.
- Ability to cope with shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to effectively prioritize, delegate responsibilities and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Proven experience in many of the following,Designing, developing, deploying and maintaining software at scale.
o Batch or stream processing systems such as Apache Spark, Flink, Akka, Storm
o Message brokers such as Kafka, Rabbitmq, AWS SQS, AWS SNS, Apache ActiveMQ, Kinesis.
o Datastores such as MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis, Elasticsearch, MySQL, Oracle.
o Developing software applications using relational and Nosql databases.
o Application architectural patterns, such as MVC, Microservices, Event-driven, etc.
o Deploying software using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, GoCD, Azure Devops etc.
o At least three plus years of deploying and maintaining software using public clouds such as AWS or Azure.
o Working within an Agile framework (ideally Scrum).
o Debugging and maintaining software in Linux or Unix platforms.
· Strong understanding and/or experience in many of the following,
o Test driven development and behavior driven development.
· Must demonstrate solid knowledge of computer science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms.
· Ability to work under pressure and within time constraints.
· Passion for technology and innovation
· Bachelor's degree in computer science or electrical engineering or related fields