As a Lead Human Resources Manager at Caterpillar, you will provide the overall strategic direction of the Human Resource functions within one or two Divisions. You will serve as the key resource for the respective Divisional Vice President(s) on all matters related to Human Resources. You will ensure effective and efficient execution of enterprise HR policies, practices and processes by providing leadership within assigned divisions to effectively achieve correct balance between enterprise point of view and local HR strategy.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
* Specific functions vary at each location, however, responsibilities generally include but are not limited to: culture and employee morale, employment, training and development of the workforce, environmental, health and safety, public affairs, security, relocation, negotiations and administration of labor contracts, preservation of a union free environment at focused facilities, administration of benefits programs, communications, development and administration of EEO and Affirmative Action programs.
* Develop, lead, provide advice and support to the Division(s) Vice President(s) in matters of HR strategic direction, including workforce planning, diversity, development; organizational effectiveness and communications strategy for the enterprise’s global business.
* May be responsible for one or more Succession Planning Groups (SPGs).
* Lead the strategy to support the company and divisions’ mission to attract, retain and motivate highly qualified professionals that will contribute to the growth and financial well being of the enterprise. This includes leading the division’s efforts to build a high-performance culture that fosters high levels of employee engagement. Work with the division’s succession planning group(s) to coordinate personnel planning for jobs worldwide. Accountable for development and execution of divisions’ workforce plan.
* Manage skill and performance development activities within their Division(s) through knowledge management and continual learning. Develop the organization’s strategies and chart its progress toward achieving employee engagement, culture and work force diversity. Manage the flexible work force from a strategic cost/value standpoint (part-time, agency, contract workers, etc.). Manage relationships with employment agencies.
* On an ongoing basis, help minimize problems and grievances of employees through administration of the bargaining unit agreement. In conjunction with Corporate Labor Relations, provide input and assistance to central contract negotiations. Provide for local contract negotiations and arbitration, as necessary. Administer bargaining and non-bargaining unit employee complaint procedures. Assure compliance with government regulations and company practices in the areas of NLRA, EEO/AA, OSHA, etc. Contribute to the physical and mental well being of employees through effective medical and cafeteria services and various employee activities and programs.
* Align with applicable enterprise and/or regional policies, practices and processes, assure equitable, consistent administration of personnel policy and practices, salary administration, legal and contractual procedures. Division effort must fit within guidelines of policy and procedures established by various human resources departments within Corporate Human Resources and other applicable Human Services Division policy and process owners. Provide input into development and modification of corporate policies and procedures.
* Act independently or with division staff support or on-site shared service support to resolve problems and develop solutions to major challenges such as a work stoppage, reduction labor force, reorganization, changes in pay and pay related practices, etc. Ensure that HR processes are executed by the appropriate local divisional HR or shared services groups with the Human Services Division.
* Manage selection, education, training and development activities to assure the proper number of qualified employees are available to the BU on an ongoing basis. Implement programs, resolve conflict and provide guidance to the management team on a divisional level.
* Manage a complete functional area through subordinate HR managers and/or HR staff. Provide direction, focus, motivation and encouragement for subordinates. Responsible for all personnel issues and performance evaluations of subordinates.
* Confront complex issues or problems, which require careful analysis and diagnosis. Problems are often unique and solutions can require original approaches.
* Set priorities and establish a work plan to complete broadly defined assignments and achieve desired results.
* Travel time required varies according to Division(s) supported. Ranges from moderate to extensive, typically 20-60% of working time.
* A 3 or 4 year college or university degree or equivalent experience and broad company knowledge.
* At least 9 to 12 years or more of progressively responsible job-related experience.
* Excellent interpersonal skills are required to deal with sensitive issues, develop others, or persuade others inside and outside the department to take specific action.
* Experience in one or more of the following Human resources areas: Training, Labor Relations, Employment and Employee Development, Employee Benefits, Communications, Environmental Health & Safety, Compensation, and Medical.
* Experience outside of Human Resources, i.e., Manufacturing
Caterpillar is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO)
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.