While working at Caterpillar Inc., you will work in an environment that supports excellence. You will support your team in efforts of continuous improvement. This position is under limited supervision and provides oversight and coordination of various quality support activities including the investigation, documentation, analysis and resolution of quality issues and other duties as assigned. Typically reports to a supervisor.
This is an hourly position starting at $17.50/hour on 2nd shift (Monday-Thursday, 10-hour shifts)
Job duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Operates robotic and manual MIG weld machines.
- Must be able to inspect own work including quality checks utilizing weld and attribute gages and other measuring tools.
- Ability to perform in station repair on defective welds utilizing carbon air arc process, grinders, etc.
- Ability to clear common robotic welding system faults
- Mechanical job duties may include:
- Use of lifting devices to move heavy components of weights of more than 35 lbs to position heavy fabricated metal components in weld fixtures.
- General knowledge of manufacturing, methods, and processes
- Rotation to various positions within the Job Function area to perform related activities.
- Ability to perform routine maintenance (wire change, tip/nozzle change)
- Rotation to various positions within the Job Function area to perform related activities. Must be able to work in a highly structured environment, strictly adhering to provided standard work instructions
- Follows documented procedures standard work, routings, and blueprints to perform safe and defect free operations to create and machine components.
- Follows and utilizes CPS principles of 5S, Continuous Improvement Idea Reporting, Waste Elimination, and Standard Work.
- Keeps work area in a clean and orderly condition.
- Worker is responsible for process and final inspections
- Must be able to function as part of a team, willing to be multi-trained and maintain a safe, clean and orderly work area
- Contributing team member
- Must have effective communications skills
Caterpillar is committed to excellence in all that we do. As a global, diverse technology leader, Caterpillar has been making sustainable progress possible and driving positive change on every continent. Customers turn to Caterpillar to help them develop infrastructure, energy and natural resource assets. We are proud of who we are- thousands of people making progress possible around the world. The Building Construction Products (BCP) Division is a global division of Caterpillar Inc. that employs several thousand employees located at facilities worldwide. BCP has production facilities in the U.S. (Clayton, N.C.; Sanford, N.C.; Athens, Ga), UK, China, India and Brazil. Products designed, manufactured, and distributed by BCP include skid steer loaders, backhoe loaders, compact track loaders, multi-terrain loaders and small wheel loaders. Athens, G.A. specifically produces mini hydraulic excavators and small track-type tractors; from fabrications to assembly producing a finished product.
BCP is proud to be a family friendly, flexible employer with a very competitive Total Rewards package. Since 2013, Caterpillar BCP Division has consistently earned the Alliance for Work-Life Progress (AWLP) "Work-Life Seal of Distinction" for providing a wide variety of workplace policies, programs & practices that support employees across all major aspects of work-life integration. The Athens, G.A. facility was recently awarded the 2016 Georgia Large Manufacturer of the Year as well as the 2015 Safety Performance Award by the Georgia Association of Manufacturers. The Athens, G.A. facility was also recognized by Caterpillar in 2014 by being awarded the Environmental Excellence Gold Award.
Are you ready to build what matters? Build More Than Machines. Build a Career.
- Must have welding experience in a manufacturing environment
Physical requirements must be met with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Ability to sit or stand for prolonged periods;
- Ability to perform repetitive operations;
- Ability to lift up to 35 lbs.
Top candidates will also have:
- Experience with manual MIG welding obtained through OJT or coursework
- MIG welding certification
- Experience with operating robotic welding systems
- Experience with blueprint reading
- Experience with Caterpillar Production System processes and tools
- Further education
Additional Information: This is a 2nd hourly position in Athens, GA with a starting wage of $17.50/hr plus 5% night shift premium. 2nd shift works 10-hour shifts, Monday-Thursday. No relocation benefits are available. Resume submittal along with application is preferred.
Successful candidates must be able to pass the following AWS D1.1 welder qualifications during Cat provided weld training:
- T-fillet break test in the 2F (horizontal fillet) position
- Limited thickness groove test in the 1G (flat groove) position