This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Chicago, IL, United States
Date Posted: Oct 7, 2019
Come join a world class organization and play a key role in its digital transformation. Caterpillar is looking for talented and motivated software engineers to build a world class platform to host a wide range of applications.
Principal Software Engineer will participate in all stages of Caterpillar’s state-of-the-art digital platform software development, including refining product vision, gathering requirements, project planning, software system design, coding, testing, release, deployment and support. This individual will also work collaboratively with other engineering teams to ensure cross-functional goals are met.
JOB DUTIES: Responsibilities of the incumbents are across functional lines with individuals assigned in new program development and/or maintenance of existing mobile, WEB, Cloud, server, personal computer, mainframe, and/or distributed computing systems.
1. Competent to perform all programming, project management, and development assignments without close supervision; normally assigned the more complex aspects of systems work.
2. Lead role in complex projects spanning across multiple system components
3. Work in all phases of product creation process including creating technical requirements, project planning, identifying dependencies, system architecture and development.
4. Investigation and root cause analysis of software and system defects.
5. Focus on productivity, quality and competitiveness of major technology initiatives.
6. Apply knowledge and skills to solve most complex engineering problems.
7. Organize and drive configuration management activities of the development process
8. Works directly on complex application/technical problem identification and resolution, including responding to off-shift and weekend support calls.
9. Works independently on complex systems or infrastructure components that may be used by one or more applications or systems.
10. Drives application development focused around delivering business valuable features
11. Mentor and assist software engineers, providing technical assistance and direction as needed
12. Maintains high standards of software quality by establishing good practices and habits
13. Identifies and encourage areas for growth and improvement
14. Communicate with end users and internal customers to help direct development, debugging, and testing of application software for accuracy, integrity, interoperability, and completeness
15. Performs integrated testing and customer acceptance testing of components that requires careful planning and execution to ensure timely, quality results.
The position manages the completion of its own work assignments and coordinates work with others. Based on past experiences and knowledge, the incumbent normally works independently with minimal management input and review of end results.
Top candidates will also have:
o Designing, developing, deploying and maintaining software at scale.
o Batch or stream processing systems such as Apache Spark, Flink, Akka, Storm
o Message brokers such as Kafka, Rabbitmq, AWS SQS, AWS SNS, Apache ActiveMQ, Kinesis.
o Datastores such as MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis, Elasticsearch, MySQL, Oracle.
o Developing software applications using relational and Nosql databases.
o Application architectural patterns, such as MVC, Microservices, Event-driven, etc.
o Deploying software using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, GoCD, Azure Devops etc.
o At least three plus years of deploying and maintaining software using public clouds such as AWS or Azure.
o Working within an Agile framework (ideally Scrum).
o Debugging and maintaining software in Linux or Unix platforms.
· Strong understanding and/or experience in many of the following,
o Designing well-defined Restful APIs
o Writing API proxies on platforms such as Apigee Edge, AWS API Gateway or Azure API Gateway
o API tools such as Swagger, Postman and Assertible
o Test driven development and behavior driven development.
o Testing tools such as Selenium and Cucumber and their integration into CI/CD pipelines
· Must demonstrate solid knowledge of computer science fundamentals like data structures and algorithms.
· Ability to work under pressure and within time constraints.
· Passion for technology and innovation.
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer science or Electrical engineering or related field is required.