This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Peoria, IL, United States
Date Posted: Oct 3, 2019
There’s more to work at Caterpillar than just the work itself. We hire smart, friendly people and it shows in our culture. We hold ourselves to high standards and make sure our values of integrity, excellence, teamwork, commitment and sustainability come to life in the way we work. We make sure our employees feel continuously challenged while also supported. We provide professional growth opportunities, including leadership programs. We celebrate the diversity of our team, while also working together as one Caterpillar.
Our culture, like everything at our company, is made possible by each employee’s contribution. Person by person, we create the environment we work in, and we are proud of the Caterpillar we’ve built.
JOB PURPOSE: To prepare responses to charges of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation filed with municipal, state and federal EEO government and administrative agencies, at the direction of corporate legal department. To interact with EEO government agencies to protect and safeguard the rights of the company and its employees through document review, analysis of data, witness preparation and interviews, development of legal strategy, and drafting position statements and responses to other government requests for information. Additionally, to coordinate and conduct information and educational training for clients.
JOB DUTIES: Develop and prepare strategy and represent the company in adversarial investigations, hearings, fact-finding conferences, and mediations before various local, state, and federal governmental agencies to determine and define issues which may be used in further litigation.
Attend fact-finding and government investigative conferences, on-site government visits, and mediations under the direction of a lawyer.
Provide preparatory and data gathering assistance to Legal Department, business units and outside counsel. Assist with review, analysis, and preservation of documents for charge activity and lawsuits. Compile reports related to charge and pending dispute activity.
At the direction of a supervising attorney, work closely with B/U clients and Corporate Legal Department to defend company before administrative and government agencies and provide preparatory and data gathering assistance, including:
· Meet with attorneys to discuss legal strategy;
· Notify clients of incoming charge activity, identify legal issues/concerns;
· Identify witnesses to be interviewed and documents to be collected/preserved;
· Interview witnesses, review documents, and conduct in-depth analysis of data in strict confidence and formulate strategic arguments based on interviews/data;
· Prepare comprehensive position statements and responses to charges, producing grammatically correct and error-free content, and adapting points based on attorney-direction;
· Consult on litigation strategy and budget projections for the matter;
· Participate in decision-making process for resolution of disputed cases with high level business unit management and Corporate Legal Department;
· Prepare witnesses for and attend fact finding conferences, investigatory hearings, and mediations;
· Actively involved in and negotiate settlements with government investigators, charging parties, and opposing counsel, under the direction of legal counsel; and
· Communicate with enforcement agency investigators.
Frequently act as the company representative under adversarial conditions during administrative and government investigations, hearings and fact-finding conferences.
Assist legal counsel (internal and external) to achieve resolution of employment disputes identifying witnesses and documents that will be subject to information holds and document preservation for impending litigation.
Assist legal counsel (internal and external) with review, analysis, and preservation of documents for charge activity and lawsuits.
At the direction of a supervising attorney, offer proactive guidance to HR representatives to mitigate EEO charge activity while facilitating a positive relationship between the legal team and clients.
Support presentations and provide targeted training on legal developments.
Compile charge activity information and pending legal dispute activity for reporting purposes.
Perform other job duties as assigned by supervising attorney from time to time.
Typical internal customers include various contacts in a portion of Caterpillar worldwide operations. The position’s primary customers are internal. The position often confronts complex issues or problems, which require careful analysis and diagnosis. Problems are often unique and solutions can require original approaches. The incumbent may modify existing approaches or develop new solutions. The incumbent sets priorities and establishes a work plan in order to complete broadly defined assignments and achieve desired results. The position meets or exceeds quality standard set for the measure(s) stated. The ideal candidate for this position has a strong work ethic, exceptional problem solving skills, is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, and is able to take direction and work independently.
The position is required to travel up to 20% of the time.
· Requires an Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree or at least 6 years of progressively responsible job-related experience
· Must have 3 years or more experience in Microsoft Office, including Excel, PowerPoint and Word
Top Candidates will also have:
· Caterpillar HR experience preferred;
· Knowledge of various Caterpillar HR policies/programs/benefits, familiarity with Caterpillar personnel/HR Managers, understanding of Caterpillar’s organization/structure, and comprehension of job roles and work/tasks performed by Caterpillar employees;
· Ability to represent Caterpillar in adversarial and challenging situations;
· Ability to apply business knowledge to disputed matters;
· Ability to present underlying strategic thinking to attorneys and leaders;
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to deal with sensitive issues or influence others inside and outside the department to take specific actions;
· Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook and Teams;
· Goal and process-oriented with a demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks;
· Awareness of basic legal concepts (including privilege, confidentiality, etc.);
· Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects with short deadlines; and
· Ability to work in a collaborative environment and make decisions.
Caterpillar is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future require sponsorship for employment visa status; however, as a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at.