Are you looking for your next big challenge?
For more than 90 years, Caterpillar Inc. has been making sustainable progress possible and driving positive change on every continent. Customers turn to Caterpillar to help them develop infrastructure, energy and natural resource assets. With 2018 sales and revenues of $54.7 billion, Caterpillar is the world’s leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives.
Caterpillar is investing in our digital future, and we’re looking for the best Solution Architect. Our iconic products have evolved from mechanical work horses to highly sophisticated, electronically-controlled worksite solutions. This transformation, along with our smart factories and our integrated dealer network, has a wealth of data ready to be leveraged by our customers and our dealers. Think you have what it takes to develop the software and architect the platform to support Caterpillar’s digital revolution?
We at Caterpillar Digital are working to put together the Digital platform for delivering industry-leading digital solutions in support of profitable growth for Caterpillar, dealers & our end customers.
Come join us in this exciting journey and be part of the world class organization and play a key role in its digital transformation.
JOB PURPOSE: To define the relationships, flows and implementation of business (processes/activities/functions, information), applications, data and technology in the enterprise and the transitional process necessary for implementing technology in response to changing business needs. The position provides leadership for application architecture plans, technology design and lifecycle, and information integrity by promoting reuse through digital processes/reviews and standard compliance practices. A Digital Architect will help develop architectural approaches and solutions, participate or lead architectural reviews and recommend how to proceed with the applications (replace, retire, maintain, etc.)
JOB DUTIES: This position is recognized within the Cat Digital community as an expert in their technical or business sub-domain. The Digital Architect will create and maintain architectural best practices, addressing application, data and technology in the context of business process across defined business functions(s) or technology domain(s).
Key areas of accountability include participating in the development of Architecture Solutions for Strategic Cat Digital projects and programs; provide input into global technology roadmaps and application evolution plans; act as a researcher and evaluator of new technology, information or integration standards; and participate in IT digital strategy development for a specific technical or business domain. Responsibilities include one or more of the following:
1. Participate in the Architecture assessment and design for infrastructure domains that provide core capabilities for the enterprise.
2. Lead Architecture design of integrated systems across site or regional projects and programs.
3. Participate in the design and implementation of enterprise data model and metadata structures.
4. Define which data is extracted and the rules by which it is transformed for simple to moderately complex projects.
5. Participate in technology evaluation and recommendations.
6. Participate in the development and maintenance of current and planned state architecture blue prints.
7. Provides input for Cat Digital Technology and Application Rationalization efforts.
8. Applies an enterprise-wide view to solutions to support the adoption of standards and practices and promote reuse.
9. Participates in the analysis of technology industry and market trends to determine their potential impact on the Enterprise Architecture.
10. Assist in the development and alignment of the digital roadmaps with the Digital and Business strategy.
11. Employee is also responsible for performing other job duties as assigned by Caterpillar management from time to time.
Typical internal customers include employees within multiple business processes or functions including multiple Business Units and Divisions. In addition, this person may have direct relationships with Cat Digital Supervisors and Managers, and in some cases Directors. External contacts include various companies who purchase services offered by Caterpillar and/or suppliers who provide hardware or software to Caterpillar.
The position is challenged to identify problems quickly and correctly, some which may not be obvious. The incumbent solves problems by determining the best course of action with oversight as appropriate, within departmental guidelines, from many existing solutions. Communications for needed investments, architectural changes, or business needs is critical to ensure solutions can be created to meet strategic business capability needs
- Four year Bachelor’s degree preferably in computer science, information systems, engineering or related field
- 12+ years of experience in application programming with technologies such as Java, .Net, Python
- 10+ years of in software / systems design
- 6+ years of experience in relational database technologies such as Oracle or MS SQL Server
- 4+ years of experience in Cloud technologies such as Microsoft Azure, Amazon AWS
- understanding of Architectural design patterns including Service Oriented Architecture, Event Driven Architecture, MicroService Architecture
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate appropriately to ensure a team’s success
Top candidates will have
• 8+ years of experience designing complex distributed systems using both synchronous and asynchronous design principles
• Deep knowledge and understanding of architectural design patterns
• Complete documentation of the solution architecture and the demo scenarios to enable the design/development team to implement projects
• Experience handling the end-to end implementation of medium/large projects
• 4+ years experience in Designing, developing, deploying and maintaining software at scale in Cloud technologies -, Amazon AWS. Hands-on experience in many of the following-
o Batch or stream processing systems such as Apache Spark, Flink, Akka, Storm
o Message brokers such as Kafka, RabbitMq, AWS SQS, AWS SNS, Apache ActiveMQ, Kinesis.
o Datastores such as MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis, Elasticsearch, MySQL, Oracle.
o Developing software applications using relational and Nosql databases.
o Application architectural patterns, such as MVC, Microservices, Event-driven, etc.
o Deploying software using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, GoCD, Azure Devops etc.
o Experience designing well-defined Restful APIs
o Experience writing API proxies on platforms such as Apigee Edge, AWS API Gateway or Azure API Gateway
o Hands one experience with API tools such as Swagger, Postman and Assertible
• TOGAF certification