This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Deerfield, IL, United States
Date Posted: Oct 1, 2019
Since 1953, the Caterpillar Foundation has been committed to creating a world of shared prosperity through collaborative action and purposeful partners that positively transform lives in communities around the world where we live and work. As Caterpillar Inc. works to build a stable societal infrastructure, the Caterpillar Foundation focuses on partnering with and catalysing non-profits, communities, governments, and businesses to combine its collective strengths to develop sustainable solutions to poverty alleviation. The Foundation’s mission is to align, inspire, and activate partners to alleviate poverty and make sustainable, scalable progress possible for all. Its goal is to empower 50 million people to rise out of extreme poverty by 2020.
The Foundation is committed to solving some of our world’s biggest problems through purposeful partnerships and meaningful innovation. It seeks to achieve this by being “Together.Stronger” – uniting non-profits, communities, governments and businesses to turn the spiral of poverty in impoverished communities into a Path of Shared Prosperity. The pathway to sustainable progress worldwide is made possible by investing in and collaborating through programs that provide access to opportunities that empower people to reach their potential. The Foundation strategically invests in three critical program areas: Stronger Life (Basic Human Needs), Stronger Future (Human Potential), and Strong Communities (Sustainable Communities).
The Foundation believes that when basic human needs are met, people are able to more effectively pursue economic and educational opportunities. It invests in basic human needs around five key areas:
· Food – Reducing hunger and increasing the availability of healthy, nutritious meals;
· Water – Improving access to clean water and sanitation facilities;
· Shelter – Helping people find safe, stable and long-term housing;
· Energy – Ensuring access to modern energy services as well as safe and clean cooking technologies;
· Disaster – Responding to the needs of individuals and families impacted by natural disasters; and
· Advocacy – Advocating for access to basic human needs.
Access to a quality education helps break the cycle of generational poverty, contributes to business growth, and builds strong economies. The Foundation invests in holistic programs in:
· Numeracy and Literacy – Ensuring individuals have the academic foundation to flourish as fully participating members of society;
· Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics – Building proficiency in STEM subjects that enable people to succeed in the global economy;
· Mentoring and Leadership – Developing essential study skills to help youth improve their academic performance; and
· Workforce Readiness – Obtaining the basic skills and training needed to find and maintain quality employment.
Short-term philanthropic fixes are not working – while they help alleviate immediate suffering, they tend to avoid addressing the long-term, root cause. Rather, the Foundation focuses on combining the resources, reach, and expertise of non-profits, communities, government and global organizations to work together in providing the tools to address the root causes of global systemic problems for long-term alleviation. The Foundation facilitates environmentally-focused partnerships in two key areas:
· Disasters – Responding to the needs of individuals and families impacted by natural disasters; and
· Conservation – Raising awareness for conservation, investing in nature, and transforming business practices that impact our climate and the lands and waters people and nature rely on for survival.
A New Chapter
The Caterpillar Foundation manages $40 million in annual investments and through a matching gifts program and is consistently recognized for its excellence and innovation. In March 2019, we announced the appointment of as the new Foundation President who will build on the legacy and lead the Foundation into its next phase of creating positive change throughout the world. For more information, please visit:
The Caterpillar Foundation is seeking a Chief Strategy Officer to provide strategic planning, management and coordination of Caterpillar’s Corporate Social Innovation team, global philanthropic investments program for the worldwide network of Caterpillar facilities. You will report to the Foundation President, Asha Varghese.
You will enhance the Foundation and Company’s long-range planning, strategy implementation and communications efforts with knowledge of grantees, Foundation history and pertinent regulations, while ensuring quality and timeliness of all aspects of grants processing and management.
To provide strategic planning, management and coordination of Caterpillar’s Corporate Social Innovation team, global philanthropic investments program. To enhance the Foundation and Company’s long-range planning, strategy implementation and communications efforts with knowledge of grantees, Foundation history and pertinent regulations. To ensure quality and timeliness of all aspects of grants processing and management.
Job Duties include but are not limited to:
· Executing Caterpillar’s philanthropic and social innovation strategy across corporate and foundation charitable contributions including but not limited to maintaining compliance, internal processes and technology for efficient use of Foundation and corporate resources.
· Managing a team of employees that focus on external operations of the Foundation. Collaborate with indirect reports across Caterpillar facilities across the globe that are responsible for Corporate community relations.
· Supporting internal and external stakeholders in philanthropic activities, including managing the Foundation strategic programs budget involving the global communities for Caterpillar Inc.
· Providing support to officers and Caterpillar Board members at public events, delivers support and developing presentations and speeches for Executive Office and Board members on topics relevant to the company’s corporate philanthropy, sustainability positions and social innovation agenda.
· Collaborating with internal and external teams to develop and implement key Public Affairs and stakeholder strategies with regards to Corporate Social Innovation.
· Designing and managing the global disaster relief strategy for Caterpillar Foundation and coordinate efforts to best represent Caterpillar internally and externally.
· Proven ability to analyze all requests from a financial viewpoint
· In-depth knowledge of the long-range goals of Caterpillar's Social Responsibility Initiatives Program
· Expertise in strategic partnerships and program execution
· Ability to influence community and national leaders and act as a catalyst to achieve broad cooperation
· A strong background in community relations and Public Affairs activities on both the business unit and corporate level is essential
· A bachelor’s degree is required for this position
· Minimum of 5-8 years of progressively responsible experience in roles managing the operations and administration of philanthropic grantmaking and contributions programs
Top Candidates Will Also Have:
· A master’s degree
· Experience in philanthropy in a corporate environment is preferred (i.e., corporate giving and/or corporate foundation programs)
· Experience with the financial, legal and compliance issues pertaining to corporate and foundation charitable contributions
· A passion for making a difference in society within a corporate environment
· Global or multi-national experience is strongly preferred
· Exceptional project management skills; extreme attention to detail required for materials appropriate for senior executives
· Self-starter with a passion to advance projects and bring forward new ideas
· Strong communication skills, including within an environment interacting with senior corporate executives
· Ability to work within a complex and often ambiguous environment, including collaborating with and influencing various stakeholders regardless of reporting and functional lines
· Team oriented, collaborative, positive, diplomatic, good-humored and flexible; willingness to accommodate schedules across global time zones as needed
The location for this role is at our global headquarters in Deerfield, IL. We will provide relocation assistance & services to those that are eligible.
Caterpillar is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future require sponsorship for employment visa status; however, as a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at.