For more than 90 years, Caterpillar Inc. has been making sustainable progress possible and driving positive change on every continent. Customers turn to Caterpillar to help them develop infrastructure, energy and natural resource assets. With 2018 sales and revenues of $54.7 billion, Caterpillar is the world’s leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives.
Caterpillar is the marine industry's leading provider of medium- and high-speed marine diesel engines, generator sets and auxiliary engines. Manufacturing both the Cat® and MaK™ brands for marine engines, Caterpillar Marine Power Systems is committed to meeting customer requirements regardless of their vessel or location.
With a global customer support network and financial solutions, Caterpillar is committed to making progress possible for global marine customers.
• Learns to carry out commissioning of new MaK engines and supplied equipment.
• Supervises field service projects.
• Performs trouble shooting of MaK engines, analyzes engine performance, engine auxiliary systems, mechanical and digital governors / control systems, monitoring and safety systems etc.
• Able to work alone and with minimal supervision or support.
• Performs field service, maintenance, overhauling, rebuilding, and repair on MaK engines and auxiliary equipment onboard marine vessels, in Oil & Gas and land based electric power installations.
• Performs servicing, maintenance, overhauling, rebuilding, and repair of MaK engine components in the workshop or onboard vessels.
• Performs root cause failure analysis of damaged engine parts and components.
• Must be able to operate and troubleshoot HFO systems.
• Travels extensively to attend to field service assignments.
• Writes detailed service reports and punch lists.
• Attend customer meetings and capable of presenting professional technical reports and recommendations etc.
• Promotes MaK spare parts and service sales by advising customers on MaK marine engine maintenance guidelines in association on the actual condition of the engine or equipment. Gather intelligence while onboard the vessel such as engine operating hours, condition, maintenance history, dry docking schedule, and customer related information.
• Must have good product and marine industry knowledge.
• Provides basic training and advice on MaK engine operation and maintenance to customers, end users, maintainers, managers and operators.
• Understands external specifications necessary for Shipyards, Classification Societies, Sub suppliers, BOP (Balance of Plant – additional equipment that interfaces with the engine system) suppliers, etc.
• Able to troubleshoot more complex issues that end users/clients are not able to solve without actual onsite / on board support.
• Audits installations related to ancillary equipment of balance of plant under supervision (e.g. - gearbox, shaft line, clutch, coupling, pumps, heavy fuel module, separators, coolers, heat exchanger, control equipment, monitoring equipment, safety system, sensors, indicators, pick ups, electronic - mechanical hydraulic - electromechanical speed controls).
• Must be customer centric and of proffesional nature and appearance.
The position develops the ability to manage the completion of its own work assignments and coordinates work with others.
- Degree, technical diploma holder or other suitable technical training
with at least 10 years of experience in servicing marine medium
- Proficient in servicing, overhauling, troubleshooting, and repair
of medium speed marine diesel engines, engine components, and related
- Spark ignited natural gas reciprocating engine experience is also
- A higher level of understanding of marine engine
auxilairy systems, mechanical and digital governors, control systems,
monitoring systems etc. is a requirement.
- Must be familiar with the marine industry and marine vessels.
- Must have a good ability to speak, read and write in English.
- Able to use basic computer programs such as MS Word, Excel. Must
be in good physical health and capable of performing physically demanding
- Must be willing to travel at very short notice on a regular basis
including overseas when necessary, and to work overtime as and when