Job Title: Senior Performance Simulation Engineer - 2 year fixed term contract
Salary: £42,000 to £55,000 (Depending on Experience)
Location: Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Relocation/ Sponsorship: No
Benefits: 25 Days Annual leave
Flexible working arrangements will be considered for this role, in-line with the needs of the business.
Who is Caterpillar? What do we do?
Caterpillar is a world leader in construction and mining equipment—creating innovative, cutting-edge products and services that help our customers build the world around us. With that level of impact comes the platform to care for the world, we work in. That’s why we lead sustainable green initiatives to preserve the environment, help reduce poverty with the Caterpillar Foundation and stay involved in the communities we help build.
What will Caterpillar do for you?
From day one, you’re set up to thrive at Caterpillar: helpful training, relatable mentors, global experience, competitive salary package, work-life balance and the growth opportunities you expect with a Fortune 100 company.
In this high visibility role you will provide simulation support to the GED Performance development team on calibration and control using Matlab/Simulink including DOE modelling.
The engineer will have responsibility for building models and conducting design of experiments, first cut desktop calibration and map development for engines and aftertreatment. This role requires significant experience in the use of Matlab/Simulink supporting engine calibration.
Job Responsibilities and Duties:
• Conduct virtual engine calibration and performance development using Matlab/Simulink to support advance control and model based calibration programs in GED.
• Build models and conduct Design of Experiments, checking data quality, result integrity and repeatability and building calibrations for verification on test cell.
• Write strategy guides, calibration guides, procedures, and reports and formally present on outcomes to stakeholders.
• Plan, manage and deliver simulation including model build, tests and calibration to tight time scales and to right quality.
Skills and Experience:
Candidates will have gained the following skills and experience through previous roles:
• Qualified to degree level and with relevant experience in MBC, Matlab/Simulink, DOE and desktop calibration.
• Demonstrable sound engine and aftertreatment background and experience.
• Experience in Powertrain Controls & calibration, Model based control, Calibration, and Simulation techniques for design & development of diesel engine development.
• Ability to solve problems, analyse data and investigate root cause of issues.
• Good communication and interpersonal skills.
• Self motivated and able to deliver with minimum supervision.
• Self confidence and a 'passion for the product' are personal qualities needed to succeed in this high pressure environment.
Candidates may have gained the following skills and experience through previous roles:
• Experienced in the use of testbed software, calibration tools , emissions measuring equipment and test data logging systems.
• Hands on experience of engine testing and simulation including problem solving.