This job posting is no longer active.
Location: Nashville, TN, United States
Date Posted: Dec 15, 2019
JOB SUMMARY: Lead architecture solution for project/programs for two or more components, technologies or systems. Define the relationships, flow and implementation of business processes/activities/functions, information, applications, data and technology in the enterprise and the transitional process necessary for implementing technology in response to changing business needs. Provide leadership for application/infrastructure architecture plans, technology design and lifecycle and information integrity by promoting reuse through Enterprise Architecture processes/reviews and standard compliance practices. Identify problems quickly and correctly, some which may not be obvious. Collaborate with architects and technical resources with communications for investments, architectural changes or strategic business needs.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsibilities vary, but may include various combinations of the following duties.
1. Provides expert technical support, including problem identification and resolution, integration of technical solutions and communicate future direction with leadership.
2. Leads and mentors team members on established development and support processes, including but not limited to, Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), Information Technology Service Management (ITSM) or related methodologies.
3. Assesses or develops architectural approaches and solutions, participates or leads architectural reviews and recommends how to proceed with the applications and/or infrastructure (replace, retire, maintain, etc.).
4. Provides leadership and support to projects, including architecture planning, execution and delivery of commitments.
5. Leads architecture design of integrated systems (e.g. hardware investments, application selection, new software development, data model, metadata structures, vendor solution or significant configuration), across site or regional projects and programs with high systems availability.
6. Leads technology evaluation and makes recommendations to IS and Business Partners.
7. Develops and maintains current and planned state of architecture blue prints.
8. Provides input for Enterprise Technology and Application Rationalization activities.
9. Applies an enterprise-wide view to solutions to support the adoption of standards and practices and recognize reuse opportunities.
10. Conducts the analysis of technology industry and market trends to determine their potential impact on the Enterprise Architecture.
11. Develops and aligns the IS roadmaps (e.g. upgrades, retirement, new technology, security compliance, etc,) with the IS and Business strategy.
12. Establishes system performance targets and ensures architecture meets objectives (e.g. system performance, recovery point objectives, recovery time objectives).
13. Works with business partners to ensure global design is followed, ensure feasibility of proposed solution, ensure collaboration with other team members on impacted areas, validate completeness of documentation and ensure appropriate performance and quality testing is followed.
14. Participates in Project Review Committee, initial project scoping and ensuring project management office has required SDLC, ITSM and security objectives in project plans.
15. Stays current with industry trends and technologies (e.g. certifications, industry groups, etc.).
16. Participates in accomplishment of continuous improvement objectives for the department. Progress toward accomplishment of these is measured through maintenance of necessary measurements and analysis of associated data. Participates in the identification of problem areas and development of resolutions to address them.
17. Understands the Harassment policy of the company and is responsible for its application in all aspects of employment.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND KNOWLEDGE:
1. Demonstrated ability to provide leadership, technical guidance, mentor team members and work independently or as part of a team.
2. Strong written and verbal communication skills, including ability to communicate internally with IS Team Leads, IS Management, IS Architects, Business Partners, product vendors and suppliers.
3. Strong knowledge of relevant business processes or applications and their relationship to systems.
4. Advanced knowledge and ability to independently apply ITSM, SDLC or related methodologies.
5. Deep expertise in two or more areas including software engineering, security, data integration, data management, network, database, servers, storage, collaboration or other technical areas.
6. Proven ability and willingness to learn new technologies.
7. Demonstrated ability to design and develop technical systems strategy for core business procedures and operations.
8. Expert ability to troubleshoot and recommend process changes that improve the overall implementation, maintenance and support of applications and/or technical infrastructure.
9. Strong knowledge of and ability to apply basic math and data analysis skills.
10. Demonstrated ability to understand the “big picture” to support strategic architecture and business needs.
11. Strong demonstrated ability to influence and negotiate with technical and business leadership.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: A 4-year college or university degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or related field of study and a minimum of 7 to 9 years of enterprise technology experience is recommended. Experience in multiple business processes or organizations and experience in multiple IS disciplines is highly beneficial. A certification in TOGAF or similar framework and advanced degree in a relevant field are highly desirable. Equivalent experience may be substituted for education.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals – including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities – are encouraged to apply.
Caterpillar is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future require sponsorship for employment visa status; however, as a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at.
10+ years experience with IT, preferred in Infrastructure
Strong technical and communication skills
Bachelor degree in Computer Science or Computer Information Systems strongly preferred
Strong experience of RedHat Linux 6+ and Windows Server 2008+
Deep understanding of Enterprise Storage systems design, especially in Hyper-Converged Infrastructure
Knowledge of IT processes and best practices related to backup and recovery