The Strategic Investments Group:
The Strategic Investments group consists of Strategy, Corporate Development (M&A), and Venture Capital teams that lead all of Caterpillar’s transactions in addition to serving as an internal trusted advisor on a variety of high impact strategic and commercial projects. The Strategy & Planning team works across the global enterprise with Directors advising specific Divisions or Segments and is supported by a pool of Analysts.
As part of our Global Corporate Services team with enterprise responsibility, the Strategy & Planning Director (Manager job title internally) will provide strategic consulting and oversight to the execution of the company's global strategy with emphasis on using the O&E Model to drive decision-making that creates improvement in company performance. Provides strategic leadership to the most impactful projects and corporate processes that pertain to positioning Caterpillar for long-term success.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Leading a portfolio of the most impactful projects and corporate processes that pertain to positioning Caterpillar for long-term success
- Structuring and solving business problems, collaborating and coordinating with a range of internal stakeholders to make recommendations on a wide range of business issues
- Developing rigorous, fact based, quantitative analysis to support recommendations, ensuring strategic and financial soundness and alignment for any recommendations
- Working closely with cross-functional and segment management teams on strategic projects, bringing timely and useful insight and analytical support
- Communicating recommendations to senior management, other executive, functional, or regional staff and management in a clear, concise and impactful way
- Providing continuous coaching and training to strategy teams across different segments
- Developing business cases in support of M&A and asset acquisition targets as required
- Providing support in establishing and executing an annual strategic planning process with the Executive team, business units and functions
- Developing formal documentation of Corporate Strategy processes, as well as process monitoring and improvement
- Expert level of strategic analysis, problem solving, business acumen and governance background
- Prior experience with a top tier strategy consulting firm, leading client engagements and project teams
- A global background and global mentality.
- A professional degree or certification requiring several years of full-time study after a college degree
- An MBA or graduate degree in business, finance or engineering is required
- An estimated 15+ years of progressively responsible job-related experience are typically required
- Excellent interpersonal skills are required in order to deal with sensitive issues, develop others, or persuade others inside and outside the department to take specific actions.
Top Candidates will also have:
- Experience from a top management consulting firm combined with experience implementing strategy into action (either as part of that work or in a corporate setting)
- Ability to set bold goals, strategies to achieve those goals, and turn strategies into action
- Exceptional leadership and networking skills
- Ability to be futuristic and proactive
- Comfort/ability for travel needs
- Ability to build consensus
- Ability to simplify complex information and develop clear communications and presentation materials to a variety of audiences
- Executive presence/comfort with command of excellent communication and interpersonal skills
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals – including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities – are encouraged to apply.
Keywords: McKinsey, Bain, BCG, Boston Consulting Group, EY, PwC, Strategy&, Accenture Strategy, Oliver Wyman,AT Kearney, Roland Berger, Deloitte, global, international, strategy, Director, Manager, Leader, VP, Vice President, corporate