**This is a 3rd shift hourly position with a starting pay of $22.06 plus 5% shift premium in Athens, GA. **
As a Machinist at Caterpillar, Inc., you will directly support the fabrication of structures. This position will utilize tooling, fixtures, handling systems, safety, quality checks, inspection, ergonomics, and other duties as assigned.
Job duties may include the following:
- Uses various tools provided in the work area to perform machining duties including but not limited to:
- Ability to set up and operate CNC equipment and tooling.
- Operate CNC vertical and horizontal machining centers according to standard work instructions
- Positioning of heavy fabricated metal components in machining fixtures using lifting devices.
- General knowledge of manufacturing, methods, and processes (e.g., machining, machines/machine tools, cutting tools and fluids, instrumentation, measurement and control systems)
- Position heavy fabricated metal components in machining fixtures utilizing overhead and jib cranes
- Inspects own work quality utilizing gages, micrometers, etc.
- Set up cutting tools and inspect for wear
- Make/update CNC machine program changes
- Follows documented procedures standard work, routings, and blueprints to perform safe and defect free operations to create and machine components
- Follows and utilizes CPS principles of 5S, Continuous Improvement Idea Reporting, Waste Elimination, and Standard Work
- Keeps work area in a clean and orderly condition
- Research and test various cutting tools for cycle time/cost improvements
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Caterpillar is committed to excellence in all that we do. As a global, diverse technology leader, Caterpillar has been making sustainable progress possible and driving positive change on every continent. Customers turn to Caterpillar to help them develop infrastructure, energy and natural resource assets. We are proud of who we are- thousands of people making progress possible around the world.
The Building Construction Products (BCP) Division is a global division of Caterpillar Inc. that employs several thousand employees located at facilities worldwide. BCP has production facilities in the U.S. (Clayton, N.C.; Sanford, N.C.; Athens, Ga), UK, China, India and Brazil. Products designed, manufactured, and distributed by BCP include skid steer loaders, backhoe loaders, compact track loaders, multi-terrain loaders and small wheel loaders. Athens, G.A. specifically produces mini hydraulic excavators and small track-type tractors; from fabrications to assembly producing a finished product.
BCP is proud to be a family friendly, flexible employer with a very competitive Total Rewards package. Since 2013, Caterpillar BCP Division has consistently earned the Alliance for Work-Life Progress (AWLP) "Work-Life Seal of Distinction" for providing a wide variety of workplace policies, programs & practices that support employees across all major aspects of work-life integration. The Athens, G.A. facility was recently awarded the 2016 Georgia Large Manufacturer of the Year as well as the 2015 Safety Performance Award by the Georgia Association of Manufacturers. The Athens, G.A. facility was also recognized by Caterpillar in 2014 by being awarded the Environmental Excellence Gold Award.
- Must have machining experience (experienced loaders of the Mazak 12800 Machining Centers are qualified)
- Intermediate proficiency (basic skills/knowledge; capable of functioning independently in operating inspection equipment,gauges and tools
Physical Requirements (with or without reasonable accommodation):
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods
- Ability to perform repetitive operations
- Ability to operate lifing devices
- Ability to lift up to 35 lbs.
Top candidates will also have:
- CNC machining experience
- Mazak machining experience
- CNC horizontal and vertical milling experience
- EIA Machine programming
- Intermediate proficiency using a computer
- Further education beyond high school
- Experience in manufacturing/planning
- Intermediate proficiency working with Standard Operating Procedures or Standard Work
- Basic print-reading ability
- Knowledge of machine centers
- Intermediate level of knowledge of technical requirements such as tolerance and fit.
Note: This is a 3rd shift hourly position with a starting pay of $22.06 plus 5% night shift premium in Athens, GA. No relocation benefits are available. Resumes are highly encouraged from all applicants.