As an Industry Representative you will consult with dealers to market Caterpillar products and services and assist in the development of dealer sales capability. This is the third field-based assignment for an experienced individual contributor on assignments that are complex and challenging and begin to become strategic in nature.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
* Sales liaison among dealers, customers and other Caterpillar personnel. You should be very familiar with the company’s processes, systems and methodologies accountable for contributing to the identification, analysis and resolution of needs and problems in an assigned industry. You will be performing complex analysis work, identifying and resolving problems that are less tactical and more strategic in nature. Challenges include developing and meeting expectations in delivering results, considering and recommending alternative courses of actions, making timely decisions and developing greater communication skills. You will work more directly with other Caterpillar units, customers, and possibly suppliers.
* Counseling dealers in developing increased human performance capability; providing guidance on existing and potential customer service issues and improvement measures within an industry; assisting dealers on forecast, sales/rental/used strategy planning and sales techniques; supporting rollout of new products (eg., products, parts, customer service agreements, other service products); analyzing and communicating marketplace and competitive activity to Caterpillar personnel and dealers; analyzing product application, configuration and utilization that provide the best solution for a customer; assisting dealers with business planning within an industry; creating and promoting programs that increase sales while maximizing price realization; and continuing to develop required proficiency level in the specified foundation competencies and skills.
* Understand and keep current on customer/dealer market needs, understand how and why decisions are made within their work group and organization. You will be responsible for applying those decisions to support and develop product sales, dealer effectiveness, overall segment growth, process improvement, sales management process improvement, etc. You will apply your knowledge of products, technology, industry, etc., in support of Caterpillar, dealer and customer expectations and needs. You may provide direction to less experienced personnel.
* Developmental and continual learning will be directed through experience and staying abreast of technology changes. Key learning comes from continued experience in the assigned industry, enhancing communication and people relationship skills, improving problem solving and analysis ability, building and using business skills, enhancing use of Caterpillar systems and developing leadership abilities. You must stay abreast of industry and technology changes and relate those changes to Caterpillar, dealer and customer needs.
* Strong communication and leadership skills
* A bachelor’s degree in an accredited Marketing or Engineering curriculum
* 3-5 years prior experience in field assignments
* Demonstrated ability to work independently, communicate effectively and work on increasingly more complex assignments and provide direction to lower level reps on project assignments
* Must be willing to travel extensively (50-70%) as well as relocate based upon business needs
* Knowledge of Caterpillar products, policies, and procedures