This India based position reports directly to the South-West Asia Tax Manager based in Singapore and is responsible for providing day-to-day tax support on India tax matters for all Caterpillar Business Units (BUs) in India.
With an in-depth knowledge on local country tax law, this role serves as the Primary Point of Contact in addressing the tax needs of the BUs situated in India, ensuring day-to-day operations are managed tax efficiently and fully compliant with applicable tax laws and regulations.
Position is responsible for rendering timely, effective, practical, comprehensive tax support to the BUs on direct tax matters (corporate income tax and withholding tax), including but not limited to—
• Reviewing commercial transactions and legal documents for tax implications;
• Coordinating and facilitating India tax compliance;
• Prepare and support in India annual tax provision exercise and quarterly advance tax calculations;
• Represent the BUs before the relevant India tax authorities;
• Assisting with the development and local execution of enterprise tax planning strategies;
• Supporting or leading various tax initiatives and process improvement projects;
• Liaise with Caterpillar Global Tax & Trade (GT&T), Shared Service Centers and local finance/accounting teams as needed to facilitate tax compliance and analysis;
• Liaise with external tax consultants as needed to facilitate advice;
• Assist in structuring investments made by CAT BUs into India;
• Develop and implement appropriate tax risk mitigation strategies;
• Monitor India tax developments and ensure timely communication of relevant impacts to the BU’s; and
• Evaluating and documenting uncertain tax positions.
Required skills & qualifications:
1. Qualified Chartered Accountant.
2. Excellent English language skills (spoken and written);
3. 7-12 years of post qualification experience in corporate tax, international tax, withholding taxes, transfer pricing.
4. Corporate income tax technical expertise, including but not limited to strong knowledge of TDS provisions, experience in tax provision exercise & handled large corporate tax and transfer pricing audit cases.
5. General familiarity with transfer pricing principles, permanent establishment concept, basic international and cross border tax concepts.
6. Ability to work independently in executing assigned tasks and providing business support, including strong project management and process improvement skills.
7. Ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional, cross-cultural peers while maintaining an enterprise perspective.
8. Ability to understand complex and regularly changing commercial and operational business models.
9. High level familiarity with basic US tax principles or prior tax experience in US MNC is a plus.