As a Material Planning Analyst at Caterpillar, you will have an opportunity to assist in the effective, timely and economical acquisition of direct and/or indirect materials for Caterpillar facilities.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
* Assisting Buyer in purchasing duties including price negotiation, rejections, quality requirements, cost improvements and quotation evaluation.
* Processing purchase requisitions from Caterpillar facilities operating groups and, when necessary, selecting supplier or alternate which best serves requirements.
* Contacting supplier and negotiating acceptable price, delivery date, terms of payment, method of shipment, etc.
* Initiating request for quotations as required to establish best cost, quality and delivery.
* Applying knowledge of similar parts, material or tooling, etc., analyzing details of each quote for conformance to requirements and selecting supplier. Results of analysis are used for purchases, make/buy studies, new product cost evaluations, new process evaluations, etc.
* Processing and negotiating resolutions to rejections, supplier debits and credits and investigating price discrepancies.
* Analyzing all related documents and contacts involved with Caterpillar and supplier personnel to resolve problems.
* Working with plant personnel to evaluate, select and when appropriate, outsource various maintenance, storage, rework, etc.
* Serving as the purchasing representative when Buyer is not available.
* Making decisions relative to supplier choice, quality and quantity performance and cost negotiations.
* Contributing to initiation and implementation of cost reduction projects to meet purchasing objectives.
* Reviewing engineering change and release notices, working to establish best Just In Time delivery and economical lot sizes, contacting suppliers for information on hazardous materials and expediting material as necessary.
* Traveling to suppliers as necessary to discuss quality problems, delivery performance and policy decisions.
* Prior experience on salaried level purchasing jobs, often having been a Purchasing Analyst, to become familiar with purchasing policies, practices and philosophies.
* Technical knowledge of assigned commodities, a thorough knowledge of purchasing policies and the ability to communicate well, both verbally and in writing, with other Caterpillar personnel and suppliers.
* A degree in business or logistics